IRIX and Software

FORE driver hangs Irix

I'm passing on information from someone further west than I am so pardon the second hand information.

Buddy has a Crimson he received running 6.2 with a blanked password. Among other options installed was the FORE ATM board. While the history of the machine is generally unknown (to me) when the system comes up everything is fine until Irix tries to initialize the FORE board, then the machine hangs either waiting for a response from the board or while trying to resolve an address or something from the missing network. From there all he can do is reset the machine. It will however come up in single user mode so there's that option but neither of us could figure out how to use that to disable the board.

Any pointers I can feed him over skype?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: to disable the board.

just take it out :P
assuming he doesn't wanna use it of course
r-a-c.de
If you're not interested in ATM networking: remove the board.

Otherwise, this sounds like an interrupt issue to me. VME boards to be installed left-to-right in the cardcage and you have to set or remove jumpers on the backplane of the system to configure the interrupt(s) used by the VME card.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
He mentioned he did remove a VideoCreator that was somewhere on the bus because it blew out a tant and he needed to repair it, leaving an empty slot in between boards but I do not think he's touched the remaining installed boards in the meantime but if disabling the board for Irix is as simple as pulling it out I'll ask him to try that and we'll see what happens.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.