IRIX and Software

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing out more space

So my Indy has a gig drive, and almost all of it is consumed, as I found out the hard way trying to install gcc on it (I don't have the cash to spring for a MIPSpro license).

What are some things I could throw away that are not essential, short of digging up a larger disk and installing IRIX on that?

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
First, remove everything Java-related, since it's of little use anyways and takes up lots of space :)

Then remove the following subsystems: *.books (they're on techpubs), manual pages, release notes, and any source or patch subsystems from Nekoware packages.
If you don't need PPP support, uninstall those packages.

Remove demos, pcp_eoe, open{ldap,ssh,ssl} (use nekoware packages instead), performer_demo, Teleffect, appletalk, cosmoplayer, cosmocreate, gateway, outbox, sgi_apache, websetup, Register, dynaweb, macromedia, netscape*, netwr_client, sgimeeting, snmpd, mozilla*, dvdr, eoe.sw.xvm, eoe.sw.xlv, eoe.sw.xlvplex (probably useless on an Indy :) ), eoe.sw.spell, eoe.sw.optinput, eoe.sw.ipv6, eoe.sw.xfsrt, dmedia_eoe.sw.synth, dmedia_eoe.data.synth, dmedia_eoe.data.prosonus.
These are all safe to remove on an Indy.

If you're desperate, you can also remove NFS support.

I once made a very minimal install of IRIX for an Indy and it was about 150-200MB, but I don't have that list of packages anymore. The standard install has some things most people won't need :)

Also, some system binaries aren't stripped, so you can safely do that.
Ah, I was hoping someone would say Java is not essential. That should get me to the right point. I don't see PPP in the software manager -- where is that in the file system?

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
If you don't see it it's not installed... :D

hamei wrote:
Classic - I just bought a new 15k 74 gig Toshiba (aka Fujitsu) sca scsi drive for $15. An adapter would be another $3 ...

for 15 bucks :o ebay??

Classic - I just bought a new 15k 74 gig Toshiba (aka Fujitsu) sca scsi drive for $15. An adapter would be another $3 ...

for 15 bucks :o ebay??

They claim it was new. Came wrapped up properly. Looked new. Reports itself correctly. Around here it's pretty hard to tell but has been working now for a week.

I am not unhappy with it so far :D