IRIX and Software

vertical monitor orientation in irix with DCD v12s ?

Octane2 with 2 DCD v12 cards ...

I have two 24" 1920x1200 displays plugged into the two DVI ports on card "0".

All is well - I have a nice two-screen desktop with both panels driven @ 1920x1200.

However, I'd like to rotate both panels to vertical orientation... how hard is that going to be ?

Is this a custom VFO file kind of job, or is there some reasonable way to do this ?

Thanks.
jsloan wrote:
Is this a custom VFO file kind of job
Yes

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I will turn them back horizontal :)
jsloan wrote:
It is possible to run DCD connected displays at not-provided-by-sgi resolutions. The off-the-beaten-path 2@ display format hamei uses with his T221 mega-display is a good example: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16726857

recondas wrote:
jsloan wrote:
It is possible to run DCD connected displays at not-provided-by-sgi resolutions.

I am wondering where the right-angle turn is done tho ? Is the monitor smart enough to know that if it is rotated 90* then the image needs to be rotated 90* as well ? Or would it not fit becasue the graphics system would be sending two tall thin stripes when the monitor was trying to display two wide short stripes turned sideways ? Does the origin point of the display change in hardware when the display is rotated or does that have to be done by the driver ?
hamei wrote:
I am wondering where the right-angle turn is done tho ? Is the monitor smart enough to know that if it is rotated 90* then the image needs to be rotated 90* as well ? Or would it not fit becasue the graphics system would be sending two tall thin stripes when the monitor was trying to display two wide short stripes turned sideways ? Does the origin point of the display change in hardware when the display is rotated or does that have to be done by the driver ?
The (visible) display image provided by IRIX will be 1920 pixels wide and 1200 lines high. I'm not personally aware of a (consumer-level) monitor that has the internal logic needed to convert that image into one 1200 pixels wide by 1920 lines in height. I'm sure I only looked a a fraction of the 1920x1200 panels that offer landscape to portrait rotation, but everything in that (small) sample used the graphics controller on the host computer to rotate the image.

recondas wrote:
The (visible) display image provided by IRIX will be 1920 pixels wide and 1200 lines high. I'm not personally aware of a (consumer-level) monitor that has the internal logic needed to convert that image into one 1200 pixels wide by 1920 lines in height.

Was thinking about this while walking home last night ... you guys in the car-crazed world should try that ... we know that vfc can create a 1200x1920 format, yes ? And we know that some monitors for medical uses (Barco) are oriented in the tall direction. And the O2 was used for medical imaging ... so perhaps ?

Normally the start point of a display is at 0,0 and scans to (for instance) 1920,0. Are there any places in vfc to change the start point to 1920,0 and scan to 1920,1200 ? It seems like it should be possible, given all the weird stuff that IR can do (and the fact that soome SGI systems were used for tall thin medical displays.) I know this isn't Infinite Reality but many of the same capabilities seem to have been carried over .... Out of curiosity, would this be doable with Infinite Reality ?