IRIX and Software

Irix installation fails

Ok, gave up on the network installation :-(

Now trying to install from a CD-ROM (Toshiba XM4101b). I can fx the disk and start sash but when I fire up "install" it copies the files and then bombs out

Unable to local scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix: no such file or directory
Failed to boot

I have tried the "f" (fix) option and also resetenv but I still get the same error (and the same on 6.5.11 and 6.5.14, on 6.5.10 fx hangs)

Any ideas?
What are you using as a boot server? IRIX? Linux? NetBSD etc?
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
I was using a FreeBSD 6.2 box but after a few hours trying to debug the network boot process of IRIX I gave up. I am now trying a normal CD based installation until I ran into the issue described above ... :-(
Had similar problem
Be sure the pins on the HD are set properly.
Rerun resetenv
Hope this helps

Big D
Origin 200 2 x 270 MHZ R12000 -Meme
Origin 200 2 x 225 MHZ R10000 -Mona
Origin 200 ??? /SGI 320 -SGI320GT /SGI 540 -Spock
Fuel -no name yet
ok, retried it but still the same issue (the only jumper on the disk that is set is the SCSI ID - to 1)

I am running the disk on a UW2U converter but I don't think thats the issue. I have also tried to low-level format the disk on a Adaptec2940UW but the installation still fails....
So what's hinv saying? Fx when you view the partitions?
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I can see the disk in "hinv" and fx is happy with the disk (partitions / labels)
Maybe need changed block size to 512 Byte/block under PC, then use under IRIX.
So, took a while :-) I tried it yesterday on a SGI supplied 528MB disk (was in an Indigo R4K but wiped before shipping) but I still get the same error :-(

Unable to local scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)/unix: no such file or directory
Failed to boot

I have tried the "f" (fix) option and also resetenv but I still get the same error (and the same on 6.5.11 and 6.5.14, on 6.5.10 fx hangs)

Any ideas why it still fails?
Have you seen Ian Mapleson's install guide?
http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Finally fixed!

On my Indigo R4K I have to boot into fx in two stages.

boot -f dksc(0,6,8)sashARCS
boot -f dksc(0,6,7)stand/fx.ARCS --x

if I miss out the "--x" the described error occurs.

Now the Indigo runs IRIX 6.5 happily (but it's very slow, have to fix that :-)