IRIX and Software

Gaim+ssl

Hello,

nvukovlj GNUTLS is a PITA.
I never managed to get a clean build of that crap.
Around 6 dependencies.
One is requiring to have /dev/random or use EGD to generate random numbers.
As soon as my setup will be ready I will give that another shot.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
i only had like 3 deps for gnutls... but i have a good lot of freeware and the g2office early nekoware installed.

all i appeared to need were:

libgcrypt
libgpg-error
opencdk

and of course:

pkgconfig

i just did the most basic "./configure && make && make install" type compile.
ubi dubium ibi libertas
Hello,

NauSeum : builded with gcc I assume?
I only tried with MIPSpro.

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
While I respect people trying to build everything with MIPSpro, I still believe that it is not really essential in majority of cases.
OK, libs that are used by other bigger applications (or KDE/GNOME and such), fair enough, as there may be a performance impact, and likewise for certain applications that need as much performance as possible, but majority of apps do not fall into this category.
Trying to compile with MIPSpro can turn out to be an exercise in frustration due to so many gcc-isms that are in much of open source software these days (I believe that some of this code is probably copied from app to app too :) ), and at the end won't give you anything more except perhaps that feeling of major achievement against all odds(that is unless you didn't pull out all of your hair in the process).

Nik.
i figure if the name of the lib has gnu in it, it's gonna be so full of gcc-isms that it isn't worth it

add to that that i don't have mipspro 7.4 and that i had been warned at the difficulty of compiling gaim on mipspro... i just tried to actually have the app

it's all well and good to try and have everything mipspro, but if that means not having an app i need for work that seems like cutting myself off at the foot.. :)
ubi dubium ibi libertas
Hello,

nvukovlj : Yep sure. Sometime it is a real nightmare.
But it is also some kind of "challenge".
Some day you suceed some not. That s life after all.

NauSeum : Not compiling with MIPSpro is not a problem when it is a temporary solution or
sometime final solution when it is impossible to beat the code.
I mean don't worry I was just wondering in case you find the trick to compile it with MIPSpro.
If you had succeeded I would have asked you how you did it:-)
I would also say that compiling gaim with MIPSpro is "easy" a good configure,
a few line to hack... But dependecies... :-)

Ok in any case good job done always worth it.
So if NauSeum can provide the tardist to help the others.
I will take my chance later:-)
Probably not before september:'(

@+

LoWeN
UX powered
nvukovlj wrote: While I respect people trying to build everything with MIPSpro, I still believe that it is not really essential in majority of cases.
OK, libs that are used by other bigger applications (or KDE/GNOME and such), fair enough, as there may be a performance impact, and likewise for certain applications that need as much performance as possible, but majority of apps do not fall into this category.
Trying to compile with MIPSpro can turn out to be an exercise in frustration due to so many gcc-isms that are in much of open source software these days (I believe that some of this code is probably copied from app to app too :) ), and at the end won't give you anything more except perhaps that feeling of major achievement against all odds(that is unless you didn't pull out all of your hair in the process).

Nik.

I agree with this. The important thing in my mind is to get the core libraries built under MIPSpro if at all possible - this allows both MIPSpro and gcc developers to build applications without worrying about library incompatibilities. Now that most of the Nekoware GNOME/KDE infrastructure has been compiled under MIPSpro things should be much easier for all.

In short, if gaim can only be easily built with gcc, let's make a gcc based tardist and add it to the collection.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.