SGI: Discussion

I hate throwing this stuff out...

After recently moving I finally got my own space and can play with my extensive SGI collection. The first project is paring down the Indigo 2 collection. One of the four machines wouldn't boot so I'm stripping and recycling it. Half way through I notice the thing's been hardly used. No dust, no ancient fingerprints on the internal steel. Everything looks like it's been assembled yesterday.

Sad. A $40k 195 MHz R10000 Indigo2 probably ran for a month or two, only to be stripped and recycled.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Powers up and won't boot or dead at the power switch?

World domination! Or something...
Obviously you don't hate throwing stuff enough to put a bit more effort into getting it working again.
Young people today have no stamina. :-/

Young people today have no stamina. :-/

I suspect his problem is not so much stamina as storage space.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
10-4

Seattle real estate ain't cheap. BTW: Speaking of real estate, my next project is rooting through five 1541 Commodore floppy drives. Worst, job, ever.

FTW: I did totally strip the I2.