SGI: Discussion

What led to The Fall of SGI? - From www.vizworld.com

I'm glad you enjoyed the series.

If any of you SGI Fans have any more inside info on the sad sage of a Graphics Great, I'ld be happy to hear it :)
Interesting reading. Would have been even more interesting to hear "the full story" of employee combined interviews. Book material maybe?

/Matt
If I can't fix it I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
:O2000: :O2000: +MXE/IO6G :Onyx: [RE2] :Fuel: :O200: :Octane: x3 :Octane2: :O2: x2 :1600SW: x3 :Indigo2IMP: x2 :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: :Indy: x5 :320: x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's
No joke about the swag. I own just over 120 SGI t-shirts, baseball shirts, polos, and sweaters (along with a couple jackets) of which maybe a dozen are the same. Then I also have hats, pins (including my 14k gold SGI pin), mugs, watches, quality pens, bags, calculators, lanyards, stress balls, keychains, and even a pocket knife. There is plenty more out there (still trying to find some of those fly swatters) and I'll just keep on collecting. I've started photographing and posting some of my collection

Most of my collection came from a former employee (mid 80s through early 2000s judging by the swag) and he reiterated that same-old saying "It wasn't just a job, it was a wardrobe."

PS: Got any cool swag to sell? I'm pretty full up t-shirts though.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
tesla wrote: Interesting reading. Would have been even more interesting to hear "the full story" of employee combined interviews. Book material maybe?

That's exactly what ex-SGI employee Jesse Barnes suggested when I talked with him about cool stuff like IRIX x86.
My computers (incomplete)
mattst88 wrote: I talked with him about cool stuff like IRIX x86.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up. This was in the pipeline at some point? While I obviously have my heart reserved for MIPS, I would still kill to be able to run IRIX on PCs of the future.
- Jim
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: <- signed by The Screensavers :) :Indigo2IMP: (230L) (230L) :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: <- touchscreen :PI: :Octane2:
directedition wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, back up. This was in the pipeline at some point? While I obviously have my heart reserved for MIPS, I would still kill to be able to run IRIX on PCs of the future.

Yes, I posted it here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16720602
http://mattst88.com/blog/?dd=09&mm=04&yyyy=2009

It didn't seem to make a big splash when I posted it. :\
My computers (incomplete)
directedition wrote:

large engineering organizations do this all the time. a couple of guys 6-9 months tops for an Advanced Development project. actually making it a reliable product is at least two orders of magnitude more work.

it would be more surprising if someone DIDN'T do it.

edit: oh i said that before... welp still true.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Even so, that would be a hobbyist dream. Well.... and open source IRIX would really be. The code for 6.5.5 has been leaked and is available on the interwebs, but it's rather useless for the community. I somehow doubt if IRIX will ever be freed from its coffin.
- Jim
to be honest, i think SGI hobbiest get WAY more of their dream than any other tech-humper. SGI's biggest beast are peanuts now. you can't give them away. i was never able to get an of the DEC equipment - it held it's value far too long.

OS source code is a pipe dream - even if you got it you would be just be bug fixing forever - boring...

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote: OS source code is a pipe dream - even if you got it you would be just be bug fixing forever - boring...

But you might get a USB driver out of it!
Land of the Long White Cloud and no Software Patents.
porter wrote:
skywriter wrote: OS source code is a pipe dream - even if you got it you would be just be bug fixing forever - boring...

But you might get a USB driver out of it!

i seriously doubt it.

DECUS Member 368596

DECUS Member 368596
directedition wrote: I've started photographing and posting some of my collection

Impressive Collection! Would you be interested in sending me ( [email protected] ) these images in a high-resolution version? I'ld love to post them on VizWorld as an SGI Swag Gallery.

I'ld give you full credit, and a link to your site.
Almost ironic in a way.. I put your whole collection ( 20 years of SGI ) online, on the same time I break the news that SGI killed their Graphics Division . :-(

Sad day for a graphics giant.