Hardware Wanted

HP C8000, Compaq XP1000 or HP zx2000

Hi,
I am interested in upgrading to a faster Compaq/HP UNIX workstation, so if anybody has one of the following machines they no longer use or want, let me know the exact specs and how much:
- Compaq AlphaStation XP1000 with 667MHz CPU
- HP C8000 with Dual Core 1.1GHz CPU(s)
- HP zx2000 Itanium

I'm located in Ireland, but I'm used to buying machines from overseas... EU countries with reasonable shipping costs preferred obviously.
hi
I can offer you only an HP GFX (used in C3600 and C3700)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
The zx2000 is a fairly rare and wanted system, in its niche of course. It's definitely a very nice system, as a rather quiet and energy-efficient one (compared to other systems in its class), which would accommodate a large number of platforms and fairly recent and up-to-date ones, too, I might add. VMS guru Stephen Hoffman also proclaimed that he considers the zx2000 one of the nicest VMS (I64, needless to say) workstations you could lay your hands onto.

Even up to two or three years ago, the few people who owned zx2000s were only interested in offering them for rather large sums and, specification-wise, uneven trades... So, it will be tricky to find one, I think. But, maybe you'll get lucky.

I would keep an eye on auction sites like eBay, which is what you're probably already doing. I assume when VMS V9 comes along, the zx2000s will begin to appear and for more sensible sums...
:O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO: :O3200: :Tezro: :O2: :Indigo2: :rx2600: :rx2600: :rx2600: :zx6000: * :zx6000: *
(* HP Integrity rx2620 “Montecito”)

LOOKING FOR: SGI Indigo² Maximum IMPACT graphics board set, preferably with ≥1 × 4-Mbyte TRAM.
what makes zx2000 so special ?
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
gocram wrote: The zx2000 is a fairly rare and wanted system, in its niche of course. It's definitely a very nice system, as a rather quiet and energy-efficient one (compared to other systems in its class), which would accommodate a large number of platforms and fairly recent and up-to-date ones, too, I might add. VMS guru Stephen Hoffman also proclaimed that he considers the zx2000 one of the nicest VMS (I64, needless to say) workstations you could lay your hands onto.

Even up to two or three years ago, the few people who owned zx2000s were only interested in offering them for rather large sums and, specification-wise, uneven trades... So, it will be tricky to find one, I think. But, maybe you'll get lucky.

I would keep an eye on auction sites like eBay, which is what you're probably already doing. I assume when VMS V9 comes along, the zx2000s will begin to appear and for more sensible sums...

Hi, thanks for the heads up. I actually haven't really been actively looking too much in the past. I currently have a PWS 433 workstation for Tru64 and a C3750 for HP-UX, and I just got the idea recently it would be nice to upgrade. I didn't realise the later/final generation workstations are that hard to find for the hobbyist.

I saw the odd system offered for crazy money as Buy-It-Now on eBay, but I thought that was just the usual eBay thing - resellers/recyclers trying to hit the jackpot. I've also seen Sun Ultra 1s offered on there for four figure sums, but whether anyone of sound mind would actually buy one for that is another matter :-) Perhaps I'm not in tune with the true commercial value of these things though.

@ivelegacy You were probably asking gocram, but nevertheless... my interest was due to the fact that it is pretty much the end-of-the line for HP-UX on a true workstation form-factor system. The zx6000 seems to be essentially a rackmount system that's not in a rack.
@kramlq
I have carefully read the OpenPa page only recently, yes, you are right, indeed an excellent machine :D

p.s.
if someone want the HP C3600/C3700 GFX video board (I do not know the right name to call it), I will post a few photos.
about the price: yours for 15 bucks + shipping
gocram wrote: The zx2000 is a fairly rare and wanted system, in its niche of course. It's definitely a very nice system, as a rather quiet and energy-efficient one (compared to other systems in its class), which would accommodate a large number of platforms and fairly recent and up-to-date ones, too, I might add. VMS guru Stephen Hoffman also proclaimed that he considers the zx2000 one of the nicest VMS (I64, needless to say) workstations you could lay your hands onto.

I disagree with Hoff there - for me, the zx6000 is the machine to get. It has double the CPU power, and is still very, very quiet. I've had mine for a few years now and it's one brilliant machine. Just make sure to get the actual desktop versions - it was created as rackmount too, and those are a bit less quiet. :D
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
How is its power draw compared to the C8000? My C8K is quiet, but it pulls nearly as much as the quad G5.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
I got a C8000 for sale that meets your specs. Just needs a copy of HP-UX. PM me and we can work something out.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
kramlq wrote: I saw the odd system offered for crazy money as Buy-It-Now on eBay, but I thought that was just the usual eBay thing - resellers/recyclers trying to hit the jackpot.

That sort of thing goes on either way. It doesn't help if these usual suspects take notice, nor if certain systems are apparently already fairly rare, on top of that.

My interest was due to the fact that it is pretty much the end-of-the line for HP-UX on a true workstation form-factor system. The zx6000 seems to be essentially a rackmount system that's not in a rack.

You're probably thinking of the zx6000s with the so-called “deskside pedestal” mounts. By the way, which are in turn also rather rare. You'll either way still end up with a fairly deep system and, as a result of that, something that's perhaps not as versatile and comfortable as a more conventional-sized system like the zx2000. (Especially as the ‘feet’ of one of these “pedestal”-mounted zx6000s also stick out a bit and much more so than a zx2000 or c8000, in order to properly stabilize the chassis.)

Alver wrote: I disagree with Hoff there

What's there to disagree? (In so far I recall he said one of the , not the .)

It has double the CPU power, and is still very, very quiet.

One of the problems is that it isn't always clear which zx6000 is a ‘true’ zx6000, particularly in the used/second-hand market. For instance, there are also rx2600s, even some with the aforementioned so-called “pedestal” mounts (which the rx2600, rx2600-2 and several similar form-factor systems also accommodate).

Although still reasonably quiet, certainly for and compared to other 2U rack-mounting server systems, a rack-mounting configured zx6000 or rx2600 will still not be too quiet and dissipate a fair amount of heat... Not to mention when compared to modern-day PCs.

It might be a problem in homes without air conditioning during summers. As purely a ‘hobby’ system, running for shorter periods of times, it might be okay of course. I ran systems like rx2600s (see my signature to get a taste of how many I once owned) for longer periods and it wasn't always practical, or fun, I can tell you.

I've had mine for a few years now and it's one brilliant machine. Just make sure to get the actual desktop versions - it was created as rackmount too, and those are a bit less quiet. :D

Although that isn't always easy to tell, as I mentioned above. So with a zx2000 it's more straightforward, as I believe zx2000s were never really offered with different fans (not even the rack-mounting configurations, as far as I'm aware).

The extra processing power provided by a zx6000, rx2600 or even rx2620 without dual-core processors is rather negligible in my opinion, let alone the necessity for it at home or as a typical ‘hobbyist’, since IPF (IA-64) is a fairly dead-end architecture. Even VMS will see an x86-64 port in the near future (which came as a pleasant surprise to many people, when those plans were announced). Something similar was promised for HP-UX once, but that seems uncertain now (read: rather unlikely), especially because HP seems to not mind to help their customers switch to Red Hat Linux x86-64 instead. (This is fairly enlightening on the subject: « HP's x86 Plan to Replace Itanium and HP-UX with x86 and Linux ».)
:O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO: :O3200: :Tezro: :O2: :Indigo2: :rx2600: :rx2600: :rx2600: :zx6000: * :zx6000: *

LOOKING FOR: SGI Indigo² Maximum IMPACT graphics board set, preferably with ≥1 × 4-Mbyte TRAM.
last official hp statement i heard was that they wanna keep hpux up for another 10 years
r-a-c.de
That's likely some kind of extended support, on existing IPF and maybe even also PA-RISC hardware, but that port they once announced seems to have been scrapped.

Soon of all the great proprietary Unices we'll just see AIX and Solaris -- neither of which I see going away since they allow Ginny and Larry to accomplish vendor lock-in on their respective architectures.

Well, and Mac OS X, but that's not really in the same category.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
gocram wrote: Something similar was promised for HP-UX once, but that seems uncertain now (read: rather unlikely)

The port existed internally, and was shitcanned because it would have cost in the range of $100M to get to production quality, and that kind of money on a line of OSes which, let's be honest, isn't doing all that great... no chance. :)

You're right that a zx2000 will be a safer choice - it's always silent. I'm still glad I went for the zx6000; it outputs a fair amount of heat (hey, it's a dual socket IA64 after all) but it's about as quiet as the average peecee if you don't put in screaming 15K rpm disks.

Colours, tastes. :)
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
gocram wrote: HP's x86 Plan to Replace Itanium and HP-UX with x86 and Linux

Because that worked so well for SGI ! Competing with Dell is the ooonly way to fly ! Everyone who tried it is rolling in money, making greenbacks hand over fist ! HP customers paying HP Bucks will be so happy to wait an hour on hold so they can talk to Raj when they need support !

It'll jack up the stock price for a couple weeks tho ... just long enough for Meg to get her bony claws into a couple mil. That's what the US is all about now, right ? Innovation ?