Hardware Wanted

WTB scsi box

Stardom R5650-4S-U3D Drive Enclosure

hi guys
I am looking for scsi box for three wide/SCA hard drives in 2U form factor.
the above product is ... shocking, it looks good, aluminium body, a pretty LCD, a few leds, and it has removable sATA hard drives and a dual SCSI U320 connection, also it supports a lot of RAID modes and provides external sATA connections

cool, but ... too many features bloated , I simply need a box with three hard drives (in 2U form factor, my HDs are double tall) to provide a good external (1) file storage to my future Octane2. I'd like to connect the box with a scsi wide cable, I am tired about narrow. Really.

feel free to suggest me a solution

(1) it's a constraint, I need to move the file storage in case of need.

p.s.
asked my friend, and he provided a link to this monster, which is certainly "super cool", but … 98723491231824719234181312 thousand light years away from my needs :D
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
I'll dig around. I think I got a rack SCSI box somewhere....or it might of been a SCSI tower I stored on its side.

ps: I don't normally complain about image size but if if the image is that large, please be courteous to us small screened forum users and attach it to the post so it auto-resizes. :)

Edited: Drat! It was just a tower of Plextor CD drives. Sorry. :(
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: ps: I don't normally complain about image size but if if the image is that large, please be courteous to us small screened forum users and attach it to the post so it auto-resizes

I was thinking the forum is auto-resizing when images linked, here (safari) it's working, I see the above images perfectly scaled in the page width (I have a 1024x768 screen), and I do not see any "width" option in the [ img ] command, isn't possible to force a scale ?

I do not like to use the attach, in this case I will use an external image host service ( e.g. imageupload dot co dot uk ), pre scaling (1) before uploading.

on my PHP forum I can do something like [ img width=xxx ] image [ /img ], isn't this feature implemented or enabled here ?

(1) gimp and image magik do it, macOSX image preview does it too

* * * speaking about the dual U320 interface * * *

let me understand, what should I need to connect a monster like the one on the above photos to Octane2 ?
is it possible ?
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
You will need two SCSI channels for one, and naturally the Octane only has one available on the back. You will either need an XIO SCSI card or a PCI SCSI card in a shoebox/shorhorn.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I'd better look for a dual SCSI XIO card, if it's possible. Btw, I'd better look for a common SCSI box instead of these monster racks

no monster rack, no need to look for a dual SCSI XIO card, problem solved :mrgreen:
Fujitsu 3C40038519 Server Backplane SCSI 3 HDD BOX 84003517 PRIMERGY TX200

I might build a SCSI box, but I need something like in the photo above
Still needed, also I am evaluating sATA to SCSI
I picked up one of these on ebay a long while back. It only holds two drives though, but you might be able to do something creative.

http://w.glyphtech.com/products/2u/features.php

Mine only had a single drive and not in a dock. They have a pair of scsi connectors for each device, again mine only had one drive, one pair of connectors.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
Firewire works with Octane, too. It might be a little easier to find than a small scsi external.
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
hamei wrote: Firewire works with Octane, too. It might be a little easier to find than a small scsi external.

oooh I have a load of firewire cards at work. If I can get one working, then my main Octane would be fully loaded.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
hamei wrote: Firewire works with Octane, too. It might be a little easier to find than a small scsi external.

umm it sounds good, here I have qty 4 (they were 2, now they are doubled) of SCA/80 Ultra2 Wide SCSI hard drives, made by Seagate , Barracuda 36 Family , model ST136475LC , they are 2U size, 36.4 Gbyte each, damn fast (1) and damn strong (in term of DMBF, 1000000 hours), so I'd like to use them but I need a backplane for 4 units and a box

btw, can you tell me more about sATA on Octane 2 ?
which card is proved to work with IP30 under Irix ?
so I can ask here if someone has one for sale, or …. keep an eye on ebay. I just need a target-name to look for.

(1) oh well " fast " is a relative concept, they go up to 25Mbyte per second, 7200 RPM spindle with an average latency of ~4 ms, and command queuing of up to 64 commands with background queue processing: so good, but ummm not so good! What is wrong with them ? oh well l .. they are 2U size, so tall the double { Height=1.6" , Width=4.0", Depth=5.8" } (an hard drive 1U size has Height=1.0" ), SE/LVD but .... their protocol always respond " yes " to question " data-size negotiation: are you a wide size unit ? ". So, if you have a wide host and you plug these monsters to a narrow cable (wide host ---- narrow cable ---- wide HD) and you add the proper " high byte (active) terminator " then they will do not care about it, and they will answer " go ffsk, I am wide " and there is absolutely no jumper no way to force 8bit. In short you'd better forget to use them in legacy narrow/mode . Fujitsu HDs are better from this point of view: they have True data-size negotiation, and a jumper to force narrow.
just a note to me:

in case you'll be offered with S-R5650
you might need QLogic QLA12160 ,
it's dual LVD Ultra160 PCI card !

(thank you J for your tricks)

I am still locking for a solution, but have a priority inversion due to the fact I haven't found an Octane2 yet, and I am with the need to find other electronic tools & instruments, but, I will be back, sooner or later, to the SCSI BOX :D

It seems I have found something nice: Compucase D340-SCA , on Amazon .
It costs ~120 euro brand new, it's 3 to 4 Hot Swappable Hard disc Enclosure with SCSI Backplane.
I can't find detailed specifications.