Hardware Wanted

WTB: DEC Multia vx42

I'm looking for a DEC Multia VX42 (233 Mhz Alpha processor) that is in excellent condition, and ideally has maxed out memory of 256 MB. Must be clean and in great shape, having the vertical stand is also a bonus.

Thanks

_________________
peecee's suck.
Lupin, take my advice as you want, but look for another machine, like a DS10 or XP900~ish, I found the multia to be unreliable with time, give it a try if you want but from my own experience, with the 166Mhz models, they don't have an appropriate cooling, and break easily. The DS10 are dirt cheap and quite capable. I spent a good amount of cash trying to get my multias (please notice: plurial) fixed, not a good deal.

Of course if you're a collector, then ignore this. They are by far one of my favorite workstations, just too unreliable IMHO.

_________________
:Onyx2:
PM sent.

R,

_________________
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
Lupin_the_3rd wrote:
and ideally has maxed out memory of 256 MB.

The maximum for a Multia is 384 MB : 2 x 128 MB + 2 x 64 MB.

_________________
:Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: Image
mia wrote:
Lupin, take my advice as you want, but look for another machine, like a DS10 or XP900~ish, I found the multia to be unreliable with time, give it a try if you want but from my own experience, with the 166Mhz models, they don't have an appropriate cooling, and break easily. The DS10 are dirt cheap and quite capable. I spent a good amount of cash trying to get my multias (please notice: plurial) fixed, not a good deal.

Yes I already own a DS10, an XP1000, a PWS500au, and a 264DP. All with maximum CPU and memory configuration. You could say I'm an Alpha geek. :lol:

Mostly I'm looking for something with Alpha processor that I can tinker with that doesn't eat lots of power and make lots of heat like these other machines do.

_________________
peecee's suck.
Lupin_the_3rd wrote:
mia wrote:
Lupin, take my advice as you want, but look for another machine, like a DS10 or XP900~ish, I found the multia to be unreliable with time, give it a try if you want but from my own experience, with the 166Mhz models, they don't have an appropriate cooling, and break easily. The DS10 are dirt cheap and quite capable. I spent a good amount of cash trying to get my multias (please notice: plurial) fixed, not a good deal.

Yes I already own a DS10, an XP1000, a PWS500au, and a 264DP. All with maximum CPU and memory configuration. You could say I'm an Alpha geek. :lol:

Mostly I'm looking for something with Alpha processor that I can tinker with that doesn't eat lots of power and make lots of heat like these other machines do.


Then I'm totally with you on that. Which OS are you running?

_________________
:Onyx2:
mia wrote:
Then I'm totally with you on that. Which OS are you running?

Gentoo Linux on all of them. I have installation discs for Tru64 5.1 and OpenVMS 7.3 and am experienced in both. But I find Gentoo Linux to be more flexible, and support more up to date modern software, resulting in a more useful machine. It also has software RAID, so I can mirror the disks, and better 3rd party hardware support for USB2 and Firewire 800 PCI cards, SCSI cards, Gig-E cards, etc.

I'd like to get a DS15, but they're outside of my budget still. Some day.

_________________
peecee's suck.
Out of curiosity, do you run renderman on alpha/linux?

_________________
:Onyx2:
No, I don't run renderman. I use the alphas mostly as hobby machines these days, with the exception of the XP1000 which has a bunch of Firewire 800 drives hanging off it, and its serving them up via NFS.

With the Alpha's awesome FPU performance, I always wondered why projects like [email protected] didn't ever release an alpha/linux client. I had racks full of the newest Alphas at my disposal in the early 2000's.

_________________
peecee's suck.
you could really build a neat openvms network with that; with decdfs and all that.

_________________
:Onyx2: