Hardware For Sale/Trade

how things should be shipped properly - Page 2

If my head gets any bigger it'll need its own post code. :D Thanks for the kind words all!!
I was talking about Ian erm.. Pimpleton from Pivot Drive, Surrey..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a virtual planetoid!
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
1. always assume that there might at one point or another be 5-6 20lb boxes of dog food stacked on top of your delicate o2.
2. always pack things so that a 150 pound desk set decelerating from a 35 degree angle off a roller line won't really damage anything in your package.
3. insure packages in small boxes would survive being thrown a good 4-5 ft to the top, and against, a steel trailer.
4. anything packed in a flimsy thin rectangle box with a single layer of bubble wrap will invariably have 20+ pounds of random automotive parts stacked on them. I see this everyday.
5. Your heavy over-sized onyx systems in large boxes? expect a 1/2 chance of them being dropped 5 ft onto the innards of a steel container. Every heavy thing loaded into the under-section of a trailer is dropped recklessly. no exceptions.

As somebody who ships heavy failed (for return) auto parts regularly, yes, we do just wrap 200# transmissions in plastic and send them through fedex. Your delicate flower is not my problem. :twisted:
This is why boxes for posting O2s have to be big. In one recent year (2014 I think) the only O2s I received intact were those for which I'd sent my own packaging to the sender to use. I buy boxes which once packed end up being 52x52x53cm.

I'd heard before from courier drivers that boxes can get stacked quite heavily in warehouses, which is one reason why I try to avoid sending items on a Friday, to ensure they don't get stuck in a warehouse over the weekend. One driver told me that boxes containing printed material can be particularly heavy, even though they're not very big, ie. think of all the leaflets one sees in post offices, shops, etc., tens of thousands of them constantly being sent everywhere.

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
+44 (0)7434 635 121
guardian452 wrote: As somebody who ships heavy failed (for return) auto parts regularly, yes, we do just wrap 200# transmissions in plastic and send them through fedex. Your delicate flower is not my problem. :twisted:

Amazingly this was how I received my Indy from an eBay seller. The packing consisted of cutting up some USPS priority mail boxes, taping the cardboard to the machine directly, wrapping it in saran wrap, and throwing it in the direction of the nearest post office.

Needless to say it was damaged (with several internal pieces of the case sheared off) but it did power on and I decided to keep it. After all who sends an Indy back to such an abusive home? I left the seller a message about what was and was not appropriate packaging for electronics, and negative feedback which they then became very unhappy about:

YOU ARE ABUSING BUY PROTECTION
NO DAMAGED EVEN IF PACKAGING LIKE THAT AND
ALSO YOU SHOULD RETURN ITEM IF YOU DONT LIKE ITEM
WITHOUT ANY
COMMUNICATION, WHAT YOU JUST LEFT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK IS NOT GOOD MANNER
AND KILLED NEW SELLER

I DID REPORT YOU ABOUT ABUSE OF PROTECTION

-curiki_0

Their confusion clearly extended beyond the appropriate way to pack things, as I never did use Buyer Protection or ask for any money back. Of course, I never heard anything about it from eBay either.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
:Indy: [x19] :Indigo: [x7] :O2: [x4]
Funny how bad sellers on eBay always seem to lack proper grammar, and usually yell in upper case.

Yeah, I've had a few with just some card taped direct to the item, they rarely survive. One time though, the oddball in a million, someone sent me an O2 packed in such a manner (the box was actually too small, the top was bulging upwards), yet it survived the journey completely intact. In honour of this unlikely event, the box became my main toolbox, has been now for over a decade. :D

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute! Donations of items I can sell to provide funds are also welcome.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
+44 (0)7434 635 121
mapesdhs wrote: One time though, the oddball in a million, someone sent me an O2 packed in such a manner (the box was actually too small, the top was bulging upwards), yet it survived the journey completely intact.

Amazing! One of mine came well packed but started to fall apart the moment I pulled the bubble wrap off of it.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Fuel: :Tezro:
Life is a bell curve I guess... :}

I sent a POWER Challenge rack to France once, shipped by a hefty DHL truck. Found out later that during the journey the entire rack had fallen over on its side, but no damage at all (I had bubblewrapped it, but even so). See:

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgidepot/pics/eurinco2.zip

Must have scared the heck out of the driver when it happened. :D

Ian.
[email protected]
+44 (0)131 476 0796
+44 (0)7434 635 121
Nice trick with the cardboard boxes to get it down the driveway. I suppose he should have strapped it to the tie down rails in there.