Hardware For Sale/Trade

Onyx2 rack IR2E or parts thereof (Finland)

Unfortunately I have to get rid of my dear old Onyx2 due to a long-distance move coming up this summer. If someone in Finland is interested in an entire Onyx2 rack system, please get in touch. Otherwise I'l sell this in parts. Specs:

- Four 2x 400MHz R12k nodeboards, each with 2GB RAM (red sticks, so half populated)
- IR2E with: GE16, 2x RM9, DG5-2-GVO
- A working MMSC (!!!) (the computer was replaced sometime, the original blew)
- A couple of Adaptec 1gbit DB9 fc boards (got also db9-optical adapters)
- HD-IO (no cables)
- SD video
- The basic stuff like baseio, ktown etc

One of the nodeboards is somewhat 'challenged', and has been as long as I can remember (I used to work on this machine, and then got it for myself later). It seeems like a firmware issue, it never would update to the same version as the other three boards.

I've also got a couple of 195MHz nodeboards (I think), an extra baseio card and a spare IR3 set (that I thought I would save but if someone really really wants it..). Also got some shoehorned stuff (plus worthless si/se octane cards) in case someone is really desperate to fit stuff to an octane).

Everything is located in southern Finland, but I can ship the reasonable weight stuff if necessary. Please make offers for the parts, I don't really know the going prices for any of this anymore. Also please ask if you're looking for something in particular, I may have missed something from this listing..
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :O200: :O3x0: :Onyx2R:
Still got these things, now parting out since nobody's wanted the entire box.
The IR2E has been sold but everything else is still left. Some of the parts were briefly on eBay but right now they're on a breather :) Please let me know if you're after something. Got two IO6Gs in case someone wants one for an origin2000 upgrade or such.
Would you consider shipping rack parts? I'm missing a side for instance.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
I guess i could do that but don't really know what to ship it with. They're rather large so the normal post office might not be very eager to accept them. ideas?
I'll investigate. The length is a problem, even though it's light and flat it might be to bulky for many freight companies.

No chance of a ferry vacation to stockholm any time soon?

Where in southern Finland do you live? If I'm lucky I can enlist the help of some friends.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
I'm in Vantaa so basically the capital area. Not going to Sweden anytime soon, sorry :)

Which parts exactly are you after? I've got all the skins etc except for the cable runner behind which the router cards are -- someone threw that away in some previous move of the box.
Hm. I will happen to be in Vantaa in a few weeks (and have a free checked bag allowance). I might be interested in some/all of these though I'm not sure what. Would any combination of them make a working SGI workstation?
zkzkz wrote: Hm. I will happen to be in Vantaa in a few weeks (and have a free checked bag allowance). I might be interested in some/all of these though I'm not sure what.

An Onyx2 rack is roughly 100x80x185cm . People have transported them as-is in vans or station wagons, but normally you transport it in a crate and then it's ~ 120x120x200 cm, weighing some 300-400kg. If you decide to take that to the airport and check it in, make sure to bring someone to film it because I'd like to see the look on the face of the airport personnel when you show up at the desk 8-)

The smallest unit of an Onyx2 rack one could still consider a computer is the compute module. That would give you a Origin 2000 deskside stripped of it's skins and wheelbase. Still circa 70x70x70cm and some 75kg (my estimate, non-trivial to lift off the floor by one person)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Hm. *blushes*. I may have been picturing something more like a deskside unit.

I think that may be stretching things even with frequent flier benefits.
mmk wrote: I'm in Vantaa so basically the capital area. Not going to Sweden anytime soon, sorry :)

Which parts exactly are you after? I've got all the skins etc except for the cable runner behind which the router cards are -- someone threw that away in some previous move of the box.

One side, it's a plastic inset between the front and rear rackpost. You just bend it slightly and it comes right out. If I get one I might also get the other since my friend is lacking a side for his rack as well.

I would like a front panel for a CPU module in the purple Onyx2 colour, with matching cable cover. Since I only have a the blue Origin2k coloured one.

Finally, the aluminium cover door is pretty scratched up on mine so it would be nice to have. But that would increase the size of the already big package.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been quite busy. Are you in a hurry to get rid of it?
Pontus wrote:
mmk wrote: I'm in Vantaa so basically the capital area. Not going to Sweden anytime soon, sorry :)

One side, it's a plastic inset between the front and rear rackpost. You just bend it slightly and it comes right out. If I get one I might also get the other since my friend is lacking a side for his rack as well.

I would like a front panel for a CPU module in the purple Onyx2 colour, with matching cable cover. Since I only have a the blue Origin2k coloured one.

Finally, the aluminium cover door is pretty scratched up on mine so it would be nice to have. But that would increase the size of the already big package.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been quite busy. Are you in a hurry to get rid of it?

Unfortunately the aluminum cable cover and its plastic sidekick I don't have (someone lost those years ago). Other than that, the compute module front and the sides are in good shape. I need to get rid of the box before the summer. Although some of the technical bits i'll probably drag along to my new place if they don't' sell -- just can't take the entire damn thing (or the large plastics for that matter)