SGI: Hardware

sgi branded external DVD-ROM question...

I'm trying to get the story straight...

There are a certain number of jumpers on the drive (which is a Toshiba SD-M1401), not sure which ones are on/off by default on the stock sgi one...

I have one, and it seems to be having problems mounting CDs or taking a long time "discovering" what type of CD it is... A srtange thing is the same SD-M1401 works just fine and is perfectly bootable in an O2, but I got a "device not ready" on an external enclosure...

Can anybody tell me what jumpers need to be on?
Shot in the dark, but check that the factory test jumper is not set. I've had Toshiba's behave strangely on me because of that.
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Hakimoto wrote: Shot in the dark, but check that the factory test jumper is not set. I've had Toshiba's behave strangely on me because of that.

Nope, it's not set... I've played with parity on/off and 512b/2k and it doesn't seem to work any better... Very strange that the same drive in the O2 works flawlessly...
unixmuseum wrote: Very strange that the same drive in the O2 works flawlessly...

Cables, termination, the usual scsi chicken-sacrificing procedure .... I've had an almost-new beautiful-looking cable crap out and the only way to tell was to buy a new one and install it. Poof ! Everything worked again ... sigh. Better than IDE tho ....
hamei wrote: Cables, termination, the usual scsi chicken-sacrificing procedure .... I've had an almost-new beautiful-looking cable crap out and the only way to tell was to buy a new one and install it. Poof ! Everything worked again ... sigh. Better than IDE tho ....

If only this was the case... I used the same cable with my 10+ year old sgi CD-ROM and it works perfectly...
I second the cable theory - you would not believe the amount of crud you can wade through over an external SCSI cable on an SGI. For one example, if the upper 8-bits aren't terminated on the cable or adapter you're using that's a potential nightmare.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
UnixM,

Here is the answer to your original question on SGI jumpers.
The only non SCSI ID that is set to on is the "Parity" jumper.
There is no jumper on the 512/2K switch so I presume that means that 512 is the default.
Cheers,
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers
eh - firmware revision?
Acronym,

Here are firmware details:

#scsicontrol -I /dev/scsi/sc1d2l0
/dev/scsi/sc1d2l0: CD-ROM TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M14011F09
ANSI vers 2, ISO ver: 0, ECMA ver: 0; supports: synch linkedcmds
vendor specific data:
30 32 2F 32 38 2F 30 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02/28/01.......
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
reserved (for SCSI 3) data:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Device is not ready

I pulled the drive from original SGI Black External case and now have it in SUN dual device box with SGI DAT (SDT-9000), so asides from being in different housing this device should be standard.
Cheers.
jwhat wrote: UnixM,

Here is the answer to your original question on SGI jumpers.
The only non SCSI ID that is set to on is the "Parity" jumper.
There is no jumper on the 512/2K switch so I presume that means that 512 is the default.
Cheers,

Thanks for the reply, J.
From the jumpers settings page ( http://www.toshiba-europe.com/diskprodu ... p?page=PMN ), it looks like the 512/2K jumper needs to be in to allow 512 bytes...
I'll give it a shot with your jumper settings to see what happens... The last jumper is somewhat oddly explained too: "Always leave the jumpers in for the internal power supply of the terminators (8)". Not totally sure what that means exaclty...
UnixM,

Well my "standard" setting has 512/2K jumer "off".
And I just did a OS install (6.5.27) update via DVD-ROM boot (as "Software Manager" crashed) and it booted from DVD-ROM no problem.
This means either that 512MB is standard block size and jumper changes this to 2K or that there is no longer the requirement for 512MB blocksize (ie PROM update has made this obselete).
Cheers.

Well my "standard" setting has 512/2K jumer "off".
And I just did a OS install (6.5.27) update via DVD-ROM boot (as "Software Manager" crashed) and it booted from DVD-ROM no problem.
This means either that 512MB is standard block size and jumper changes this to 2K or that there is not longer the requirement for 512MB blocksize (ie PROM update has made this obselete).
Cheers.

OK, I just tried the exact same configuration (to the exception of the firmware which is at version 11, it was the same as yours before), tried on a different SCSI channel, and I am still getting the "device not ready" stuff... &^#&$^#&^$&^ !! Now, the only thing I can think of is either the lens is very dirty or the SCSI ID I'm using (1) makes IRIX unhappy... My external sgi CD-ROM works fine with SCSI ID 1 though...
UnixM,

I just did a check on blocksize via scsicontrol -b and it reports the blocksize as being 512 even though there is no jumper on the 512/2K settting.
Maybe the firmware is different and has got 512 blocksize as the default...
just guessing...
Cheers.

I just did a check on blocksize via scsicontrol -b and it reports the blocksize as being 512 even though there is no jumper on the 512/2K settting.
Maybe the firmware is different and has got 512 blocksize as the default...
just guessing...
Cheers.

OF COURSE!!!!! The blocksize is programmable!!! Thanks for the hint, this might be the explanation...