SGI: Hardware

Vpro Graphics Modes Question

Playing with my new V10, I came across a few new things in xsetmon (coming from MGRAS SSE):

1- a shitload of new resolutions, that's cool! An interesting one is 1280_1024_safe, what's this for? safe as in secure or stable? I don't recall seeing that on SSE, but maybe I just didn't pay attention...

2- a new, slightly puzzling "Valid Configurations" menu
This one got me puzzled because for a certain number of resolutions, it offer 2 options. For instance, 1280x1024_60_no_tiles.cmb and 1280x1024_60_4_tiles.cmb. What the heck is this? I'm guessing it's the OGL Multipipe thing, hence the 4 tiles... Am I way off on that one?

3- a new frame buffer depth control, I guess it's related to #2
yeah ... i wanna hear about this kinda stuff too (while i am waiting for my v6 to arrive.. i might as well get a clue)
ubi dubium ibi libertas
unixmuseum wrote: 1- a shitload of new resolutions, that's cool! An interesting one is 1280_1024_safe, what's this for? safe as in secure or stable? I don't recall seeing that on SSE, but maybe I just didn't pay attention...

noticed that one too. The two seem to be exactly the same vfos though.. no idea if its just an accidentally packaged backup copy or if its there for a reason..
unixmuseum wrote: 2- a new, slightly puzzling "Valid Configurations" menu
This one got me puzzled because for a certain number of resolutions, it offer 2 options. For instance, 1280x1024_60_no_tiles.cmb and 1280x1024_60_4_tiles.cmb. What the heck is this?

Those are display combinations for using several odyssey pipes with an external compositor (InfinitePerformance(TM) ;-) )if i'm not totally mistaking.. see sgcombine(1) for example
unixmuseum wrote: 3- a new frame buffer depth control, I guess it's related to #2

this is used to switch between 8bytes/pixel and 16bytes/pixel framebuffer depth, see http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?t=2758 and friends :-)

so long,
Timo
schleusel wrote: Those are display combinations for using several odyssey pipes with an external compositor (InfinitePerformance(TM) ;-) )if i'm not totally mistaking.. see sgcombine(1) for example

OK, so that's pretty much the opposite of what I thought... It's combining multiple VPro instead...
schleusel wrote: this is used to switch between 8bytes/pixel and 16bytes/pixel framebuffer depth, see http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?t=2758 and friends :-)

That's directly related to the normal display? what an odd location in the UI for this choice...