SGI: Hardware

Octane2 - Strange Problem

Hey guys! I brought my SGI to work so I wont have to pay for the electric bill ;-) but it won't display any video now. Do you think all 3 monitors are unable to sync? One of them displays the login screen for a sec then goes to standby mode. I tried going in through the console and resetting it, but I can't even get into the diagnostics screen when you first turn the machine on. Any ideas? At home I have a 19" Sony Trinitron...
pan1k wrote: Hey guys! I brought my SGI to work so I wont have to pay for the electric bill ;-) but it won't display any video now. Do you think all 3 monitors are unable to sync? One of them displays the login screen for a sec then goes to standby mode. I tried going in through the console and resetting it, but I can't even get into the diagnostics screen when you first turn the machine on. Any ideas? At home I have a 19" Sony Trinitron...

Can you setup the network where you are (your likely have to setup the network settings on a PC to match your SGI since you can't login in, but ...) and then telnet into it and try and find a res that works ???? (or did you drag the same monitors to work as well ??)

I've had allot of SUN Trinitron monitors that badly missed behaved with SGI's. I thought my first SGI was defective because the SUN monitor (it still had the 13W3 plug though) looked like it should work, but it did all sorts of weird stuff and could never seem stay locked onto the sync for very long

Are this SUN Trinitron monitors, or real SGI Trinitron monitors ???

Even so you'll prolly be about to telnet in setmon the resolution to something the monitors will sync to on
I got in through the serial port and setmon'd a 1024x768 @ 75HZ. Doesnt do anything. Even when the machine first turns on, the screen is black. I'm guessing somehow the 13W3 Adaptor went bad... I can buy another one when I get paid next. It's either that or the V6 Pro board is going out.. *sigh*

The monitors at work are: ViewSonic, Mitsubishi and NEC.. none work...
pan1k wrote: The monitors at work are: ViewSonic, Mitsubishi and NEC.. none work...

Before you buy a new 13W3 adapter or VPro board, you might check the specs and see if any of the monitors you're trying are sync-on-green friendly <you didn't mention SOG, so stop here if you've already checked>. If manufacturer's specs aren't forthcoming, there is an on-line listing of monitors that reportedly support SOG - some of the posting are obviously contradictory, but it's a reasonable starting place.
http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

There are also specific resolution/refresh rate limitations for the V6 <but you probably already know that since you picked a supported resolution >.
pan1k wrote: One of them displays the login screen for a sec then goes to standby mode...

That brings the 'not completely compatible' 13W3 adapter issue to mind. Some here have had to resort to the breaking off some or all the small pins on the 13W3 side of the adapter to get around the issue <disregard if the 13W3 adapter previously worked with your Octane>.
search.php?keywords=sync+on+green+adapter+pins&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
pan1k wrote: It's either that or the V6 Pro board is going out.. *sigh*

I've got a V6 board that's looking for a new happy home. I have no use for it other than collecting dust. Actually it's not, the anti-static bag it's stored in is collecting the dust... ;)

If it turns out that your V6 is toast you can have this one if you want it...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
If he's not up for it, I have a little sad Octane that could use your v6 card :)

vishnu wrote:
pan1k wrote: It's either that or the V6 Pro board is going out.. *sigh*

I've got a V6 board that's looking for a new happy home. I have no use for it other than collecting dust. Actually it's not, the anti-static bag it's stored in is collecting the dust... ;)

If it turns out that your V6 is toast you can have this one if you want it...