SGI: Hardware

Seem to be Alive !!

Hi

I cannot stay with the idea to do not use my PI anymore, yes i know, i do not switch it on for month (who say years ?), i do not have much time , always working, take care of my sons, my husband etc....

so i try to have a dump on the serial thru hyperterminal., so i plug my cables, unplug the keyboard and switch on.....

and ? i have a display, with a diag, after i had a message because kb is missing, so i switch off, plug the kb and it boot !

now it do a FS check (slow, even with a 15k U320 disc....)

i cross my fingers

Eve
i have talk to fast

so i can have serial acces, and if i unplug the bk, the printenv write me: gfx:dead , no keyboard

if i plug the keyboard, system seem to hand after the post test, all test are passed, but nothing more..... beep and that's all. the test led is off after

Console DUART test PASSED
Memory walking bit test PASSED
Memory address uniqueness test PASSED
Interrupt mask registers test PASSED

Error-- keyboard not responding

Error-- cannot open console "gfx(0)"

initializing tod clock
setting secs=0 min=0 hour=0 day=1 month=1 year=0

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option?

i think i can suspect the keyboard......

Who have a keyboard for me ?

it hang when i ask a hinv via term...... strange ?

Eve
computron wrote:

Code: Select all

Error-- keyboard not responding

Error-- cannot open console "gfx(0)"

initializing tod clock
setting secs=0 min=0 hour=0 day=1 month=1 year=0

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option?

i think i can suspect the keyboard......

Who have a keyboard for me ?

it hang when i ask a hinv via term...... strange ?

Eve

Seems your NVRAM battery ran out -- this is possible since this systems is very old and you didn't use it for a while? I don't know about IP6 by heart, but IP12 (the 4D/35) uses regular CR2032 coin cells.

If the battery runs out, the boot settings are lost and it's possible it defaults to using the serial console instead of the keyboard/mouse/monitor.

You have PROM option [3]: "Run diagnostics". If IRIX is installed on the hard disk, the diagnostics are installed also. Why not try to run them to see what it gives?

If you are certain it's the keyboard that's broken, I have some 4D series keyboards in storage. But they are for the PowerSeries so they have a DB15 connector. I believe the 4D/25 uses a DB9 or DB15 connector? You'd have to replace that connector, otherwise it should work.

These keyboards are quite heavy, so shipping is not for free.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Hi Jan, i have use this system for less than one year, it always show me a tod clock defect....
env are good, console = G, so it might boot, and he had boot today !!! but it hang during FS check

the keyboard was only doing a small "click" sound, no reaction on the screen.

yesterday when i use it, i try to use the shell, and i only have code like [12a] etc instead of caracters, even ctrl+c or nothing work.... then the display switch off......

keyboard ? motherboard ?

i think the chip who read the keybord and mouse is the same for the serial port..... so it seem to be ok as the POST test said

Let me know about your price for the keyboard + shipping !

i'll try to run the diags ! IRIX 3.3 is installed on

Thanks

edit:

some more details.

when i boot up system and go to the prom monitor, the status led are 'runing", when i try a hinv, it stall and the system hang.

i think more and more about a GR1.2 board fail. i stripe it down with BP and ZB boards

Eve
so, some new...

i have config the env to boot without display (console = c) and i unplug the graphics board from to mobo in the emodule.
so it boot on cosole, and now it process with FS check......

keyboard ? gfx subsystem ? i'm a bit lost.

edit:

now i'm loged in.... seem fine , without display !!

The system is ready.

pandora console login: root
IRIX System V Release 3.3.2 pandora
Copyright (c) 1988,1989,1990 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
You have mail.
TERM = (vt100)
# hinv
1 12 MHZ IP6 Processor
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 1.5
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 1.6
Data cache size: 8 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Main memory size: 16 Mbytes
Integral Ethernet controller: Version 0
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93