SGI: Hardware

VPRO and Ultrawide Monitors

Is there a way an SGI can display to an ultra-wide and actually make use of one? (I have yet to personally try one).

I expect SGIs to not do well with Ultra-wide's but lets confirm it if that is the case ;)

I currently have a 27" LED running at 1920x1200. Works well with Octanes and Tezros, etc. The newer ultra-wide monitors on the market today are tempting.. mainly as I prefer to have many windows side-by-side versus top and bottom.

I expect a 2560x1080 resolution is not possible with a Vpro, unless a custom VFO can be created? Would a custom VFO even work with VPRO hardware? What if using an odd resolution such as 1920x800 or something.. would that even be useful?

Thanks
V12 can't do more than 1920x1200, dual V12s can give you twice that but you need two monitors. Unless, I guess I don't know if modern monitors can take inputs from two graphics cards and show them side by side. I suppose probably they can. :shock:

Anyway, an ancient sgi graphic showing an Octane with two V12s:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
There are appliances to combine two DVIs into a wider (higher) screen; matrox and a few others make some, and displays that take >1 dvi and assemble them accordingly; then you need opengl multipipe to combine two screens in software. It works very well; I use it on my tezro and octane2 this way.
:Onyx2:
SGI's VPro series were designed to support the bandwidth of a single-link DVI interface. The maximum pixel clock for single-link DVI is 165 MHz, which is usually defined as WUXGA (one and the same as the 1920x1200@ 60 Hz resolution mentioned by Vishnu).

However, if you have a monitor that will accept /sync to lower refresh rates it may still be possible; lowering the refresh rate will also lower the pixel clock for any given resolution. As an example, another member reported he was able to drive an IBM T221 monitor with a 3840x1200 display resolution with a single (Fuel) V12. Before I get anyone's hopes up it's only fair to mention the IBM T221 is not your typical consumer-oriented monitor, the refresh rate used in that example was only 12.7 Hz .

To drive a 2560x1080 display with a single V12 would require a monitor that could accept a refresh rate of roughly 44 Hz (or less), the pixel clock for a 2560x1080 display refreshed at 60 Hz would be 241 MHz.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any, but mia's mention of an appliance that could combine the output of two V12s is good news could open a lot of ultra-wide doors for IRIX users.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
You guys are a regular education! :D

All I can say is that vfo stuff makes my head hurt. I've read multiple times recondas' explanation of how to write and compile them, and never understood a single word. hamei posted numerous times about his multiple-thousand pixel T221 monitor, and I read those posts, so I should have known better. It's off to the punishment room... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2: