SGI: Hardware

Using a CF or SD card in an Indigo? - Page 2

That's a good plan, although I'd get a bigger drive myself. There's loads of cheap 36GB SCA drives around. Just make sure to do some checking as some of the later SCA drives won't work on earlier SGI machines, whereas others will. I forget the reason why, but I'm sure someone will shortly jog my memory :)

Edit: Also worth noting is that there's a huge gulf in noise as well. I've had some 15K SCA drives which have been almost silent, and some 10K SCA drives that sound like a tornado tearing through a car factory. Hence it's worth doing some research to make sure you get a nice, quiet drive.
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Since this is about an Indigo it's worth mentioning that EFS, the file system used by IRIX 5.3 and earlier has a maximum size of 8GB, and R3000 Indigos do not run IRIX 6.x.

Yes, you can create multiple slices of 8GB and mount them as /usr, /var, usr/people etc. etc. but this quickly becomes rather silly. And IRIX 5.3 w./ XFS exists but it has it's own quirks, especially on pre-R4000 CPUs.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)