SGI: Hardware

Tezro and DVI Apple Cinema Displays?

Hi, long time no see.

So I would like to know if is it feasible to connect a Tezro to an Apple Cinema Display, the DVI aluminum models from July 2004 onwards.

I have a 23" and a 30" models, I understand that the 30" is a no go, but the 23" should be doable. Would it work straight out of the box or should I use any adaptor, if so, which one.?

TIA !!!
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
Hi, I have a 20" cinema display, I've never had a DVI-equipped SGI but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a simple plug-and-pray. ISTR the OSD (for brightness) is generated by software on the host, but if the display does not connect to that driver it will fallback to an internal OSD. Don't quote me on that. ;)

Other than that is just a relatively stupid LCD monitor and should just work at a variety of different scaled resolutions. It will probably not run anything other than 60 hz. The manual is here http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0 ... rGuide.pdf . (edit: fixed link) They do not do any sort of analog input.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
themacosxflies wrote: Hi, long time no see.
Nice to see you're back. Congrats on the Tezro.
themacosxflies wrote: So I would like to know if is it feasible to connect a Tezro to an Apple Cinema Display, the DVI aluminum models from July 2004 onwards.........but the 23" should be doable. Would it work straight out of the box or should I use any adaptor, if so, which one.?

I didn't see anything in the manual that looked like a certified show-stopper:
the Apple Cinema Display Manual wrote: 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display, model A1082
• Viewable: 23.0 inches
• Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
Note: You may also be able to use the Apple Cinema Display with a Windows PC that has an appropriate video card with a DVI port.
We're not talking PC, but that note should be a fairly good indication connecting a Tezro and a 23" Cinema Display shouldn't involve an adapter.

If it works as described you should be able to use the 1920x1200_60.vfo provided with an IRIX install. If it doesn't play nice with the IRIX-supplied vfo, connect the monitor to a PC or Mac so you can read the EDID info, and create a specific-to-your-monitor vfo. There's a run down on the EDID-to-vfo process in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16729147
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Thanks to both of you, and I appreciate your welcome. Hopefully it would be that easy. Will keep you informed. :)
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
themacosxflies wrote: I understand that the 30" is a no go, but the 23" should be doable.

Just wondering what is it about the 30" that makes it a no go?
If I am not mistaken, the requirement for two Dual-DVI ports.
mmmm I'm thinking DCD option running in stereo? i.e. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16726857&hilit=IBM+T221

edit: meh, maybe not, seems its sort of a mystery of how to tweek the DCD channels, or if it needs dual V12's - not too clear atm. The 30" would be an expensive lab rat to find out it doesn't work
No, it needs a double-link DVI (one socket but with more of the pins in use...) or otherwise it will have to run at a scaled resolution, which may not be much of a problem depending on preferences. Different from having two physical ports...

The T221 has multiple DVI sockets and can act like 2 or 4 monitors internally. Cinema 30 is much lower resolution so it can all fit on one port.

http://fireuser.com/blog/what_does_dual ... ally_mean/
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
^^ That’s right, it’s just one Dual-Link port that’s required. I messed up my previous post when for some reason was thinking about getting support for two ACD 30" displays. My bad.