SGI: Hardware

R3000 Indigo CR2032 hack

I had two Indigo R3000 boards run out of battery (the infamous 'can't set TOD clock' bug) in a matter of days.

The original batteries (Tadiran, Sonnenschein) are pretty expensive so I decided a CR2032 hack was appropriate. Here's the result:

Chyron Centaur Video option board mounted again. As you can see, clearance is not a problem.

Oh, and they work fine again of course. The CR2032 a somewhat lower voltage (3V versus 3.6V) but considering the price of CR2032 cells I don't really care if they last a little shorter :)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: I had two Indigo R3000 boards run out of battery (the infamous 'can't set TOD clock' bug) in a matter of days.

The original batteries (Tadiran, Sonnenschein) are pretty expensive so I decided a CR2032 hack was appropriate. Here's the result:
DSC_4328.JPG

Chyron Centaur Video option board mounted again. As you can see, clearance is not a problem.
DSC_4331.JPG

Oh, and they work fine again of course. The CR2032 a somewhat lower voltage (3V versus 3.6V) but considering the price of CR2032 cells I don't really care if they last a little shorter :)

How long do you think the battery will last? Nice job though. By the way, you have some really high quality photos.
Nice. My soldering skills are totally inadequate, so I went out and bought the Tadiran (ouch!) for my Indigo.
BTW, you don't happen to have a spare keyboard for the Indigo?
SGI machines: "wtmc04" Image , "blackjack" Image and "Biofysica" Image
How are you attaching the battery holder to that IC?
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
thegoldbug wrote: How are you attaching the battery holder to that IC?

Two component glue. It's an SMD style battery holder so all it takes is a surface without circuit traces or via's. There are several via's in the PCB area around the original battery location so I opted for the nearest IC large enough to glue it to.

twix wrote: Nice. My soldering skills are totally inadequate, so I went out and bought the Tadiran (ouch!) for my Indigo.
BTW, you don't happen to have a spare keyboard for the Indigo?

Last time I looked (and that was several years ago), cheapest 'genuine' was the Sonnenschein which cost me ~ 14EUR I think + shipping from Germany. Now I don't have to wait two weeks for a battery to arrive, I can simply got to the 'Action' discounter during lunch break and buy five CR2032 for one EUR, or close :mrgreen:

It's possible I have a keyboard, I'll have to look.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
I brought out my Indigo yesterday which I previously swapped the battery on. Aaand the "new" battery was dead. I had of course used the more expensive "proper" part for the job... quite a bit of wasted cash since I haven't used the machine much. Today I'm buying a CR2032 holder and battery :)

Luckily I didn't solder the new battery in place.

Thanks jan-jaap for info and detailed photos.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se