SGI: Hardware

Octane COSMO2.0 card for 81USD, should i grab it?

subject says all :shock:

i already got a PVO.. but this would be a nice add-on right?

What's the specs on your target Octane? Because it was designed for use in Octanes with Impact Graphics (when RAM max'd out at 2GB), it has issues if more than 2GB of memory are installed, and there's been a mention that it wouldn't work in an Octane with an R14 CPU.

Having said that, I had a lot of fun with one I used to have . The Cosmo2 (a.k.a. Octane Compression Option ) has the advantage of offering professional quality *analog* video....
TechPubs wrote:
OCTANE Compression and Indigo2 IMPACT Compression provides analog video input, output, and two streams of JPEG compression and/or decompression for the OCTANE and Indigo2 IMPACT line of desktop workstations. It is an integral part of the Silicon Studio solution for film and video production from Silicon Graphics.
....while the PVO provides uncompressed web-cam quality video. Another potential advantage over the PVO is while the factory intended the Cosmo2 for use with Impact (SI,SE, SSI SSE, MXI, MXE) graphics, it can be made to work in some Octanes with VPro Graphics .

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
morning recondas :)

recondas wrote:
What's the specs on your target Octane? Because it was designed for use in Octanes with Impact Graphics (when RAM max'd out at 2GB), it has issues if more than 2GB of memory is installed, and there's been a mention that it wouldn't work in an Octane with an R14 CPU.
ah my Octane spec is:
360MHz R12K
640MB RAM
XBow 1.3
PVO
Gigabit Ethernet
MXE

sorry im at office and haven't have posted the hinv here.. so i guess my Octane is ok right?

recondas wrote:
Having said that, I had a lot of fun with one I used to have. The Cosmo2 (a.k.a. Octane Compression Option) has the advantage of offering professional quality *analog* video....
hmm would be a nice add then :) so if i get this, should i connect this to my PVO right? or should i remove my PVO first then connect this?

recondas wrote:
....while the PVO provides uncompressed web-cam quality video.
oh!! thats why PVO works well with the InPerson using the analogIn.. so if i add Cosmo, can i do compressed video through LAN?

recondas wrote:
Another potential advantage over the PVO is while the factory intended the Cosmo2 for use with Impact (SI,SE, SSI SSE, MXI, MXE) graphics, it can be made to work in some Octanes with VPro Graphics.
ah yes i read this here a while ago, its ok i think ill stick with my MXE for a while, even got a spare MXI :)

so i guess my Octane is ok right?
Looks good to me, especially since you have MXE graphics.

geo wrote:
Hhmm would be a nice add then :) so if i get this, should i connect this to my PVO right? or should i remove my PVO first then connect this?
Never had a Cosmo2 and a PVO at the same time, so I don't have much in the way of personal experience to offer there.

SGI provided a flex cable link to connect the Cosmo2/Compression Option board to the Impact-graphics era Octane Digital Video board (which in turn connect to the Impact graphics board with flex cables). The PVO seems to be missing the connection headers (for the flex cables from the Cosmo2/Compression Option), so linking thier functions wouldn't appear to be an supported-by-SGI solution.

Turned more than a few TechPubs references to Octane Digital/Compression Video cohabitation, but didn't see any for a PVO/Cosmo2 hookup. Here's the install guide for the Octane Digital Video board (including mentions of how to install it with the Cosmo2/Compression Option), and a mention from the release notes for impactvideo :
Code:
OCTANE Digital Video works with the OCTANE Product line under SI, SSI and MXI graphics board sets. It can also be used with the OCTANE Compression opption to provide two channels   of compressed video I/O.

I'm not saying they won't work if installed at the same time (independently or in collectively), or that you might not be able to make it work in a fashion similar to how the Cosmo2 was made to work with the equally unsupported-by-SGI VPro graphics.
geo wrote:
so if i add Cosmo, can i do compressed video through LAN?
See my lack-of-experience disclaimer above :D ... though I'd suspect if you're gonna send compressed video on the fly, whatever is running the web cam/video display on the other end will need to know what to do with it.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
morning condas!

recondas wrote:
Never had a Cosmo2 and a PVO at the same time, so I don't have much in the way of personal experience to offer there.
its ok, actually i aslo ask ham about this to confirm what i read from ian site, it seez this can work with PVO but im not sure if it means to be connected to the PVO? or will be connected with MXE too? coz i notice tmy PVO flex cable is different than the one used by Cosmo2..

recondas wrote:
SGI provided a flex cable link to connect the Cosmo2/Compression Option board to the Impact-graphics era Octane Digital Video board (which in turn connect to the Impact graphics board with flex cables). The PVO seems to be missing the connection headers (for the flex cables from the Cosmo2/Compression Option), so linking thier functions wouldn't appear to be an supported-by-SGI solution.
hmm i think i get your point.. ok wil check m y PVO first if it has the header for the flex cable from Cosmo2.. thanks ;)

recondas wrote:
See my lack-of-experience disclaimer above ... though I'd suspect if you're gonna send compressed video on the fly, whatever is running the web cam/video display on the other end will need to know what to do with it.
hehe its ok, just a stupid question from me :( coz still planning about the video LAN... will see ;)