SGI: Hardware

INDY Terminal on ebay - what is that ?

(posting in hardware as this is not my item, I'm just curious)

Found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Graphic ... 4630wt_966

I'm pretty curious about whatever modding has been done to this Indy, could that be dual/triple head, it seems to have 2 serial ports and ethernet added as well,
also, what could that jack sockets on that big add-on be ?.

Is this any "official" version of Indy, or maybe a custom mod ?

Cheers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 0551118018

I would guess an industrial automation product, maybe for optical recognition of parts/defects in a manufacturing plant. No way to really know unless somebody buys one and looks at the boards.

But yes it does look like some industrial hardware with that metal chassis backpack and fans exposed.

... what could that jack sockets on that big add-on be ?

Five bnc connectors for another monitor, maybe ? What are they pulling in with the ribbon cable, tho ?

Quote:
Is this any "official" version of Indy, or maybe a custom mod ?

I would not instantly "reinstall Irix" on that drive ! Microsoft is going to have a hell of a lot to answer for when they meet St Peter.

robespierre wrote:
There is another listing for what appears to be the same type of unit, at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 0551118018

Funny :P That "move mouse over photo for enlarged view" was stolen from taobao. Intellectual Property Theft ! Intellectual Property Theft ! Help ! Murder ! Police ! The biggest screamers are the first offenders ... "look and feel" Apple, iphone the registered trade mark of Cisco Systems , but when it becomes inconvenient Apple could care less about "intellectual property." Al Capone would be proud.

Oh, sorry, it was a business decision. That makes it all okay. Next time I shoot someone it will be a business decision. Then I'll get a medal instead of jail time.

Quote:
I would guess an industrial automation product, maybe for optical recognition of parts/defects in a manufacturing plant. No way to really know unless somebody buys one and looks at the boards.

Some chip makers apparently used Fuels with V12's for some sort of lithography process. Same geographical area, same kind of thing ?
hamei, while you're right that everyone's a crook :roll: ebay has had the "mouse over image to zoom" feature for years. Until a few days ago you needed to click "zoom" to activate it, but now they have made it automatic.

Maybe you will enjoy this link if you have not seen it already:
http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/

No ! no ! No ! You don't understaaand ! taobao OWNS that feature ! It's THEIR innovation ! It's totally different when you have to click to zoom ! AUTOMATIC zooming is patented ! And copyright ! and Intellectual Property !

I get so fucking sick of the asshats spouting this shit that I just want to shoot them. Purely as a business decision, you understand :P

Robespierre : this is fascinating !

http://www.sanskritweb.net/forgers/#FORGERS

thanks !

BTW, found the ad I was thinking of : it was for a scanning electron microsocope that used a Fuel with V12. Seems possible that the Fuel was used only because earlier 'scopes used SGI hardware ? Why would anyone design new hardware with a Fuel these days ?
Looks like a nicely done in-house add on. The fans seem to be an afterthought with the wires outside the case and lack of fan grills. Its probably useless without some custom software.
robespierre wrote:
... everyone's a crook ...

sanskrit website wrote:
In 1920-1940, Monotype made imitation fonts of old typefaces (e.g. Bell, Bembo, Centaur, Plantin, Poliphilus, etc.). Today, Monotype is known for releasing font forgeries. No Windows user can avoid using fonts forged by Monotype, because Microsoft integrated these forgeries into all versions of Windows. See e.g. the 2006 decisions concerning the font forgeries supplied with Windows Vista.

Intellectual Property ! Intellectual Property !! Microsoft loses 27 billion dollars a year due to piracy !!! :P

Quote:
Historical Notes: In 1992, the old company Monotype Corporation Ltd. went bankrupt and was liquidated. This means that the old Monotype Corporation Ltd. does not have a legal successor. In the same year, the font forging company Monotype Typography Ltd. was founded. This new outfit used the name "Monotype", but was not the legal successor to the old Monotype Corporation Ltd. and therefore did not own the rights to old fonts made by the old Monotype Corporation Ltd.

In 1989, the former Compugraphic Corp. acquired by Agfa-Gevaert ceased to exist. Later in 1998, Agfa acquired Monotype, and the Agfa Monotype Corporation was founded. In 2000, Agfa Monotype acquired International Typeface Corporation from Esselte AB, which had previously bought ITC and also Letraset.

In 2004, Agfa sold the Agfa Monotype division to TA Associates, a private equity investment firm. TA Associates founded a new company Monotype Imaging Inc. offering old Monotype, Compugraphic, ITC and Letraset fonts, intermingled with fonts by other companies (Adobe, Linotype etc.).

In August 2006, the Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG sold its fully-owned German company Linotype GmbH to the American company Monotype Imaging Inc. owned by the private equity investment company TA Associates.

So even the companies that originally forged the fonts ceased to exist and the new companies that have forged the names of dead companies holding copyrights on fraudulent fonts are not in any way connected to the original forgers ! Intellectual property, this is what the US bases its economy upon. Cool !!

Holy kern hell, Batman ! :shock:

God, I love it ! thieving academics at the Big Name Institutions, too !
sanskrit site wrote:
It is easily recognizable that "Nina" is identical with "Original Garamond", designed by D. Stempel AG in 1926 on the basis of a typecut attributed to the Renaissance typecutter Claude Garamond. In 1996, the trademark "Original Garamond" was replaced by the fancy name "Nina", and the "International Journal of Tantric Studies" (IJTS), edited by Prof. Michael Witzel (Harvard University), claimed that the IJTS holds the "copyright" in the "Nina" font. Is this the usual method, by which "original" works are created at Harvard? It is assumed that academics are mentally able to understand that the trademark "Original Garamond" should not have been replaced by the fancy name "Nina" and that the original notice should not have been replaced by the notice "Copyright (c) 1996 International Journal of Tantric Studies. All rights reserved."

robespierre, you made my day ! to the tumbrels with all of them :P

(Why Herr D Stempel should have been able to copyright a font "based on" a typeface created by M Claude Garamond 300 years earlier is yet another interesting question :P )
My understanding is that fonts are a grey area. The rule that distinguishes works that can be copyrighted from those that may be patented is that the former have some creative, and not useful, part. It may be said that while works of art or literature may have an effect on the reader, they are not really tools used to create effects, but rather _expressions_ of the author or artist. A typeface is a tool used to create an effect, namely legibility when arranged on a printed page with other elements, and is not usually an expression of thoughts or feelings in itself. Fancy display fonts sometimes blur the line however.

The modern font file (which Adobe likes to call a font "program") is _more than_ the old utilitarian typeface, because it contains parts that have no particular purpose and are merely expressions. For example, the comments or the order in which the points are drawn. :roll: So they have copyrights attached and the companies (which still style themselves "foundries") are very protective of them.

Apple, iphone the registered trade mark of Cisco Systems, but when it becomes inconvenient Apple could care less about "intellectual property." Al Capone would be proud.
Apple eventually paid Cisco a fortune to license the names iphone and ios... after cisco sued the pants off apple.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
guardian452 wrote:
Apple eventually paid Cisco a fortune to license the names iphone and ios... after cisco sued the pants off apple.

From the Monongahela valley to the Mesabi iron range
To the coal mines of Appalachia, the story's always the same.
Seven hundred tons of metal a day, now you tell me the world has changed
Once I made you rich enough, rich enough to forget my name.

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Very interesting to see how a thread can DERAIL from it's original subject :P

Here, pentium, just for you ...

Here we go

Piece of shit car
I got a piece of shit car
That fuckin' pile of shit
Never gets me very far

My car's a big piece of shit
'Cause the shocks are fucking shot
And my seatbelt's fucking broken
I got to tie it in a knot
(It's a piece of shit)

I can't see through the windshield
'Cause it's got a big fucking' crack
And the interior smells real bad
'Cause my friend puked in the back
(It's a piece of shit)

(Piece of shit car)
Piece of shit car
(He's got a piece of shit car)
It sucks royal dick
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
100% crap
(Never gets him very far)
Oh fuck you car

It's got no CD player, it only got the 8-track
Whoever designed my car can lick my sweaty nut sack
(They can bite his ass too)
And I got no fuckin' brakes
I'm always way out of control
Eleven times a day I hear "Hey, watch it asshole"
(You fuckin' piece of shit)

(Piece of shit car)
I got piece of shit car
(He got a piece of shit car)
Diesel gas sucks my ass
(That fuckin' pile of shit)
That pile of metal shit
(Never gets him very far)

Oh what the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
What the fuck did I do
To get stuck with you
You're too wide for drive-through
And you smell like the shoe
But I'm too broke to buy something new
Oh fuck me

Well the engine likes to flood
The car always fuckin' stalls
And the seat cushion's got a big rip
So a spring always pokes the balls
(Ouch, ouch, ouch)
Plus the door locks are busted
I gotta use a fucking coat hanger
(What a pain in his ass)
And if a girlie sees my car
There's no chance I'll ever bang her
(He never ever gets the pussy)
Hey shut up
(Piece of shit car)
You piece of shit car

(You got a piece of shit car)
You piece of shit car
(Piece of shit car)
Bald fuckin' tires
No rearview fucking mirror
(Piece of shit car)
Seven different colors
Fucking rag for a gas cap
(Piece of shit car)
Tailpipe makes the sparks fly everywhere
(Piece of shit car)
(Piece of shit car)
Oh the whole town thinks I'm a loser
Cabby give me a push
(Piece of shit car...)

kubatyszko wrote:
Very interesting to see how a thread can DERAIL from it's original subject :P

Kinda cool, isn't it ? :P
kubatyszko wrote:

robespierre wrote:

I hate to resurrect a year-old thread, but I spotted another, identical Indy this morning. This auction listing tells us that it was pulled from a KLA-Tencor CRS 1010S tool, which is apprently a wafer defect review station. So it looks like robespierre's guess was very good!

Wow, that's neat. I forget exactly why I thought that, but it was clear to me that this modified system wasn't for video production use, yet it seemed to have some kind of video interface. So optical recognition was an alternative that came to mind.

This forum has pictures of a potentially cooler special system; IIRC it was also attached to an Indy.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16723913