SGI: Hardware

Fuel DMediaPro DM6 PCI Digital Video

I recently acquired a Fuel that included a DMediaPro DM6 PCI digital video option card. These seem to be rare beasts, so I thought I'd better put up what information I had about it. SGI part number for this example is 013-3745-002, and the board bears "DVS EDDY4" in a couple locations.

The station itself seems to be part of a turnkey solution possibly intended to run something called "Opal" - I found some traces of a digital asset management package, a video/image enhancement package, and a number of production outfits by that name via Google. I can say that this system also ran ObjectStore (v5), which I haven't run across in many years, and that it has dependencies on other machines in some kind of local network.

If you just want to see a couple photos, scroll down. First I'll put in some info from/about the card.
Code:
Partial hinv output:

PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4096, device 48) pci slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4096, device 48) pci slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 5348, device 5701) pci slot 2
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4215, device 4630) pci slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4334, device 53585) pci slot 2
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4265, device 3) pci slot 4
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 4165, device 51297) pci slot 5
SD-DIGVID Standard Definition Digital Video: unit 0, revision 7.60.0

Code:
Select output from dvsinfo:

DVSINFO Information File
========================

General Info
---------------------------------------
Date:   2010/11/21 22:18:27
dvsinfo: 2.5p22

Driver Info

driverinfo:
version      2.5p33
compiled     Aug 28 2002  12:42:20
licence:
ramsize      128 MB
audio        0 channels
beta         0
diskrecorder 0
disksize     0 MB
duallink     0
film2k       0
film2kplus   0
hd360        0
hsdl         0
keychannel   0
mixer        1
rgbsupport   1
sdtv         1
streamer     1

hwinfo0:
epldversion  73c00
epldoptions  0f6fefff
cardrevision 43201
cardoptions  0000150f
serialnr     19060503
pciwidth     64
pcispeed     33 MHz
epld:
pciif        7.60.0
csrmux       1.0.13
pixmux       1.0.19

PCI Scan

PCI Device List
Vendor:10ee Id:d151 at bus:0 device:0 function:0
Vendor : 'Xilinx' Device : 'DVS:SDBoard' rev:2

PCI Dump

PCI Device List
Vendor:10ee Id:d151 at bus:0 device:0 function:0
Vendor : 'Xilinx' Device : 'DVS:SDBoard' rev:2

00 Vendor     10ee
02 Device     d151
04 Command    0006      Memory Master
06 Status     0200      Devsel:Medium
08 Revision   02
09 Class      040000    MultimediaController VideoDevice
0c Cacheline  00        Cachelinesize 0 bytes
0d Latancy    f8        Latancy 248 PCI cycles
0e Header     00        Header type:Normal
0f BIST       00
10 Addr0      00400000  00400000
14 Addr1      02000000  02000000
18 Addr2      00000000
1c Addr3      00000000
20 Addr4      00000000
24 Addr5      00000000
30 ExRom      00000000
3c IntLine    ff
3d IntPin     01
3e Min Grant  01
3f Max Lat    ff

Interesting - while similar, it is different than the DM6 I have. The DM6 was <originally> based on the DVS SDStation OEM, which has a slightly different layout <a line drawing illustrating the board layout can be seen on page 2-2 of the download-only manual http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals ... 64-002.pdf >

Here's a photo of the one I have bearing an SGI part number label <just visible in the top right corner>. Of course, its very possible that SGI might have released a later or updated board with a different layout <yours is marked with part number 013-3745-002, while the one I have has 013-3745-001>:
Attachment:
dm6_sm.jpg
dm6_sm.jpg [ 132.7 KiB | Viewed 13713 times ]

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Another kind of interesting detail is smj's card is keyed for 3.3V and recondas' card is 3.3V/5V universal.

All Rights Reserved.
I have a few of them here, but they look like the -001 version with the green PCB. I also have some of the brackets with the cables which plug into the connectors on the top of the board, though these are likely not used when running in SGI mode. I think that these cards can also handle audio - but traditionally SGI's use a separate discrete audio path - so it likely goes unused.

Differences seem to be in the top connectors, obviously. I'd bet the boards are electrically and functionally equivalent, with the 'newer' board utilizing smaller parts, and looks like it has centralized the logic a bit more (one big Xilinx as opposed to a bunch of various glue FPGA/CPLD's), and since many Xilinx parts include internal RAM, you don't need external memory chips. This also might explain the '3V only' change as well. There also is significantly less heatsinking on the newer board, which also leads me to believe the newer board is evolutionary, as this all adds up to the sorts of changes boards go through from first revisions.

Supposedly the DM6 works in Octane too. Anyone remember offhand if they are keyed for 5V or 3V in the shoebox/shoehorns?

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
Dr. Dave wrote:
Supposedly the DM6 works in Octane too. Anyone remember offhand if they are keyed for 5V or 3V in the shoebox/shoehorns?

Octane is 5V only, so they'd need to be the green 3.3V/5V version.

All Rights Reserved.
I am new to nekochan so I'm quite sure of the etiquette - I would like to buy one of these Fuel Digital Video cards if possible - suggestions?
I meant to say - not quite sure of....
oldsgifan2011 wrote:
I am new to nekochan so I'm quite sure of the etiquette - I would like to buy one of these Fuel Digital Video cards if possible - suggestions?

Click here:
viewforum.php?f=5
Then click the "new topic" button.

Post the hinv of your Fuel in
viewforum.php?f=14

You can list your SGIs in your signature line as described in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16717997

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
I'd picked up some DVS SDStation boards awhile ago ( see thread here ) but wasn't having any luck with them. All three were passed on though I don't recall who got them at the moment. Have you been able to do anything with the DM6? I don't think we ever figured out if the boards I bought were really identical to what SGI sold and I don't think there's ever been much about the DM6 posted on the board.
The DM6 relies upon OpenML rather than the traditional SGI video tools or libraries. So the old school IRIX video daemon, videod, doesn't recognize the board and won't load, which also means none of the other IRIX video capture tools work either. Using a combination of the DM6 software package provided by SGI and the SDK from DVS, the one I have will display a the RGB test screens, but that's as far as I got without an SD video source.

The situation is similar to that of the DM3, which is also OpenML based. The most widely known DM3 application(s) were provided by Discreet. So far I haven't found an equivalent app for the DM6.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
got one of these cards with my SGI fuel, and really, HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH THIS CARD or WHAT CAN BE DONE.

suggestions??

Mexico
You could add OpenML drivers to e.g. Blender, Cinelerra, Kdenlive, LiVES, Ekiga or Linphone. If you need an IRIX dmedia audio driver before you build a nekoware package for any of those, I'll be glad to be of assistance.
Hi all,

The 'Unofficial SGI320' website is back up and running:

www.sgi320.wordpress.com

For now it is just a slightly updated version of the old site. However, I will be adding some new information in the coming weeks, time permitting.

I hope you find the information useful.

cheers,

milton
Excellent! Thanks for reactivating the site, it was very handy when I was upgrading one of my SGI 320's to 1Ghz cpus.

:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
god, thanks man :)

Mexico
:D mmmm some ideas crossed my mind

Mexico
I have a broken SGI Indigo I'd like to fix, but I have no idea where to start.

The most obvious problem is that shortly after power on - two seconds, maybe three - a noise starts coming from the internal speaker. The sound becomes louder and louder with every second. No startup chime, no output on serial console.

My initial thought was a broken power supply, but a PSU repair guy I've found claims that power supply is ok and voltages are correct and clean. He also claims that he tried to bend the "mainboard" - probably the CPU board - slightly and this sometimes leads to the startup chime.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :-)
I don't really have a suggestion what can be wrong - but I would be interested in anything you find out. My Indigo R3000's speaker stopped working (no chime at boot-up) after i replaced the TOD battery. A little later the PSU shorted out, check the thread under "getting started" for details.
Having to bend the board suggests that there is something wrong with the attachment to the backplane?

... a PSU repair guy I've found claims that power supply is ok and voltages are correct and clean. He also claims that he tried to bend the "mainboard" - probably the CPU board - slightly and this sometimes leads to the startup chime.

I'm out of my depths here, but my reaction is A) don't bend the boards while powered; B) if the board he's bending is fitted to a backplane slot, it isn't seating well, try cleaning the fingers (if relevant) and re-seating; C) if it was more like an Indy or Indigo2 mainboard, I'd want to carefully examine the solder joints of the through-hole pins on any connectors like power, backplane, etc. The close to the point of flexing, the more closely I'd examine them. But I humbly defer to somebody with relevant training in these matters.