SGI: Hardware

Couldn't help myself...

At $200 the price seemed right. Just picked up this beauty:

Looks like it was an old discreet system, and comes with GVO and VBOB. Apparently hasn't been powered on since 2005/6, so I'm taking it a bit in faith and we'll see what shape it's in when I start her up. That may be a little bit, cause I'm moving into a new house and there's no 220V line and need to get an electrician in... any recommendations on specs?

I'm excited!

-Jesse-
:Onyx2RE: :Octane2: :Octane:
No VBOB on that system; you've got the old HDIO system which outputs HD over the long-obsolete parallel standard. So the four boxes on the back of the rack are serializers/de-serializers. Also you've got a DTF-2 tape drive.
that's kinda even more interesting. The seller stated it came with a VBOB, but sounds like not. It'll be cool to see what actually is there.

Still a reasonably sweet setup ^^

MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
Nice setup!
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
Way too cool. That's a really nice haul for $200.
Are the drives included?
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
That is pretty sweet! When do you pick it up?
Picking it up tomorrow morning. Excited.
So I got it home. Skins are in good nick, though the craylink cover is a bit beat up... I've got a line on a new one.

I wont be able to power it on until I get a couple of 240 volt lines put in, but it has one graphics pipe with 2 RM-7, GE14-4. Not sure on the procs yet.

Once I have the power and the new cover, I'll upgrade to RM10/GE16-4... unless a couple of RM11's fall from the sky.

-Jesse-
What's the Sony box?

I've never seen (and I'm presuming) a tape drive like that.

Edit: Nevermind. I should try reading down a few posts before I insert foot in mouth.

-DN
I've got butterfingers!
Ah... so you're the one who bought that :-) .

I was considering it, but only because I hate to see such things end up on the scrapheap. It doesn't really fill any void in my collection, but would be considered a spare.