SGI: Hardware

Dual R10K 225 or single R12K/300?

I have an opportunity to buy a dual R10K/225 with 1MB of cache for around 20EURs. I think that's cheap.

make -j2 would be faster, I suppose, and mplayer might be faster now that colourspace conversion is on a different CPU, but it's not like I use both often. Plus I'm worried about exactly how much single thread performance loss I would incur.

I'm leaning towards overclocking my 300MHz, but I'm not sure how to do it. Is the multiplier changeable or do I have to desolder the oscillator?
Originally Posted by Tommie
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
A couple years back, I 'upgraded' my Octane2 from 1x400MHz to 2x300MHz. I ended up regretting it, based on how I use the machine. Faster compiles and renders are nice, but I found myself getting annoyed that I spent money to worsen my experience for a lot of what I do. I'd keep the 300MHz, overclock it if possible, and wait until you have the cashola for 2x400 or better.
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
If you are doing graphicc or compiling/ programing then go to "slower" dual. Web and else stay with stronger single.
:O2: R7000/600 576MB Ram CDRW 18+9Gb HDD
http://www.tomosgi.co.cc