SGI: Hardware

sgi 540 power issues.

I recently purchased an old SGI visual workstaion 540. The only thing that seem to be wrong with it is that the "int" (power interlock switch cable) has been disconnected from whatever its suppose to be connected to. The end that comes from the power supply is fine. But I cant figure out where the 4 wires are suppose to connect to. Two of the wires were twisted together which makes the machine turn on as soon as the power chord is plugged in. Further, I cant turn it off, without unplugging the power cable. If I disconnect the twisted cables, the machine will not turn on. Does anyone know where these 4 wires (2 purple, 1 black, 1 brown) are suppose to plugin??? Does anyone have a 540 that they can open up and either take a high res pic or explain whats where they go??? I just cant figure this out and really want to get this old beast working properly!

Thanks!!
Eric
There's 540 pics in the gallery. I no longer have the 540 but I think the wires are connected to the white piece on the left side of this pic:
Yea! I saw this pic in the gallery, and that is exactly what I am after. There is also another one that is a little closer, but it doesnt show how the connection is made or what cables connect and how. I've tried looking online and havent had much luck. What I am after is, do all 4 wires that connect to the "int" connection all connect to that white peice of plastic? Or do some connect to that and some connect to the mother board somewhere?? That peice of plastic is missing in mine. Also, how are they connected??? Does anyone have a 540 that they could open up and see??? Its seems that these computers are pretty rare and this is the only thing keeping me from bringing this thing to life! Does anyone know where these 4 cables connect and how? Does anyone have any larger pics of this area?? Or better yet, know where I could find that piece of plastic for sale??

Thanks for the reply!

Eric
It has been quite a while since I was of any use to anyone, but maybe this will help you figure it out.

Patrick

- That's what she said -
Dammit archaic posted while I was looking for my card reader :?

Anyway since I took it and his pictures aren't showing for me yet, here's the shot I took. The colours are (L-R) Purple, black, brown, purple.
IMG_3760.jpg
VW540 door interlock

I wonder if whoever owned yours previously wanted to run the machine with the side panel off for a while, normally the machine will shut down immediately if you open it.

{edit - make image slightly less ridiculously huge]
That side of the switch is much better than mine. I couldn't get the stupid thing to come out.

From the diagram it looks like you want to connect the purple ones and disconnect the black and brown.
Patrick

- That's what she said -
un_ wrote: I wonder if whoever owned yours previously wanted to run the machine with the side panel off for a while, normally the machine will shut down immediately if you open it.

Could mean the last owner was a gamer. :lol:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Well when I got it, the plastic peice was gone, and whoever had it before me had twisted the a black and purple wires together. After looking at these pics last night, I then twisted the two purple wires together, leaving the black and brown unconnected... Power supply still doing the same thing, powering on as soon as I plugin the power chord.. And the only way to turn it off is to unplug it... What I will try next is to get two rocker switches. This is mainly becuase these are very easy to come by, whereas trying to locate the original switch is going to be difficult. What I am thinking is that even though the black/brown wires arent connected, they still need some kind of termination... So I will place one rocker switch on the purple wires in the "on" position to tie those together, and get another rocker switch for the blk/brn wires and place that in the "off" postion. This way they are terminated, but not connected...

Any additional advise from the electricians out there????

Thanks so much for supplying the pics!!!! Now I at least know where the wires go, I think its just a matter of connecting them up correctly...

Thanks again!
Eric
Duh. I have to allow web traffic through the firewall for you guys to see the pictures. I will fix this tonight.

Can anybody see the pictures now?
Patrick

- That's what she said -
It's been ages since I looked, is there an option for that in the graphical setup screen perhaps?
no there isnt.. I thought the same thing and have checked high and low...
Is there a part number or other manufacturer info on the switch - just in case SGI used an off the shelf part?
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: Is there a part number or other manufacturer info on the switch - just in case SGI used an off the shelf part?

It is a Cherry Electric F81JB110 F80 Series Line Interrupt
Patrick

- That's what she said -
archaic wrote: It is a Cherry Electric F81JB110 F80 Series Line Interrupt
Thanks!

Looks like the F81JB110 is obsolete. You might find a few still around somewhere, and Cherry makes others in the F80 series that might have similar specs.

Digi-Key carries several others in the F80 line: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... Cherry+F80

They've got a data sheet available if you need specs, measurements or wiring diagrams: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switc ... Series.pdf

If the barriers around the actuator aren't a requirement for functionality, this one at least looks similar < drawings/diagrams of the dimensions and other details are linked on the Digi-Key Product page >. I don't have a VW540 to compare it to, so please confirm suitability before buying one.:
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Currently the only way to power it off, is to unplug the machine. problem is, when i do this, and then re-plugin the machine to work on it, the system cannot find the partitions... and I cant load windows.. whatever it is, when I unplug it, the Prom or the motherboard, or something doesnt reinitialize correctly.. and that makes some sence, I mean its not being properly powered down... I also logged into the command monitor and tried to see if there was anything weird going on (this is my first sgi, so I'm new at looking at the command monitor). I ended up trying to reset to all factory settings, still no luck..

Eric