SGI: Hardware

dual head V6/V12: is it possible ?

Hi,

I have a spare V6 board.

Is it possible to mount the V12/V6 together on the same XIO carrier and have a dual display at different resolutions for each board ?

Yes I can ?...

My config: Octane2/R14K 600Mhz/2Go/V12/xbow 1.4/Irix 6.5.27.

Thanks,

yungjoon
It is possible, but it won't be simple. There was a Dual V12 available directly from SGI as an option for the Octane2. That dual V12 option requires a special XIO carrier so that both V12 boards can be physically fit into the Octane2. You'll need that special carrier <or the skills to make or modify one>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Ok, I can forget this.

I have also a spare ESI board, but I think that V12+ESI configuration is much more difficult to set up...

Thanks for your reply.
I think the big issue would be actuating the XIO locking hardware. If you can figure out a way to do that it should work just fine, since ODYSSEY+ODYSSEY is supported. My guess is that the dual-Vpro carrier is mainly to actuate the XIO locks, anyway, since there wouldn't be any support screws on the chassis, right?

Perhaps look into the way the Origin2k handles XIO locking and then take a file to the metal plate..
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
Stiff wire through one of the panel screw holes...
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
This does work....I've done it with a V8/V6 setup before.... You just have to remove the bottom halves of the XIO carriers and for the love of god...be careful sliding the cards in there....

-Jesse
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
Just culled the herd.