SGI: Hardware

N.I.C. (number in a can) modual

Anyone know if you can transfer the NIC from an octane into a Fuel?
:O2: :Octane: :1600SW:
well I answered my own question and have yours too...

first it is on a 8 pin plug in DIP ic at j301 next to the DALLAS RAM and it is socketed

second here s the data sheet... you cant reprogram it :(

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod ... /2022s.pdf

but if one gets a "new" one and follows the programming info and knows exactly what data needs to be there... there you go.

and here is a photo of the one from my fuel that is reporting sn 123456789ABC

SO the answer is NO - not with the DALLAS sn chip in the octane.. FUEL is different.
:Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :320: :PI: :PI: <- PFile:Indy:
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2000R:

Amiga 4000 060 & PPC with toaster/flyer
Mac Intel imac 24inch (dual 3 G), Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 w Dual 1.8G (LEOPARD)
G4 GigE Dual 500 (TIGER/OS9), imac G3 (PANTHER)

Sun Ultra 60, SunBlade 2000 Dual 1G (SOLARIS 10)

PC Gateway DualCore, and other lowly PC's (laptops)
Qube3, RaQ4's,Audiotron,Magnia
Wow, that cryptomemory is some neat stuff. My first instinct was that you could get a 2K SEEPROM and fake it, but I don't think thats possible since the chip doesn't use I2C protocol. A small PIC probably could work as an easier to implement stand-in.

Assuming SGI didn't just use it as PROM and uses the encrypted ATR protocol, you'd need to at least need to log the datastream sent to the module and do some cracking to figure out what the right bits are to send. The encryption seems to be 64-bit, which could be rather painful (DES is only 56) depending on the implementation.

Probably best to call the company and ask for relicensing, if possible.
tillin9 wrote: Probably best to call the company and ask for relicensing, if possible.

tillin, some times you crack me up :D :D :D
I've aborted trying to "crack" this on the fuel as it also turns out to have a protection system that diasbles the chip if too many attempts to modify without "proper" authorization.

so---- there ya go
:Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Fuel: :320: :PI: :PI: <- PFile:Indy:
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :O2000R:

Amiga 4000 060 & PPC with toaster/flyer
Mac Intel imac 24inch (dual 3 G), Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 w Dual 1.8G (LEOPARD)
G4 GigE Dual 500 (TIGER/OS9), imac G3 (PANTHER)

Sun Ultra 60, SunBlade 2000 Dual 1G (SOLARIS 10)

PC Gateway DualCore, and other lowly PC's (laptops)
Qube3, RaQ4's,Audiotron,Magnia