SGI: Hardware

600MHz O2 Is Up And Running!! - Page 6

theodric wrote:
Have received my 600MHz module and it's happily running with a fresh install of 6.5.30! Fantastic :D It booted once or twice on the 6.5.29 install I was running with my 180MHz R5k, but otherwise would fairly consistently hang during boot with the 600MHz module, and very consistently would boot with the 180MHz one. I mention this in case anyone else has a similar issue-- luckily as I have piles of SCA80 drives sitting around, reinstalling was pretty painless.

Ha ... congrats! Btw., I tested the modules with a 6.5.28 IRIX Installation running MySQL5, Apache2, Joomla!, OpenOffice, Blender ...
Since I had 3 modules out of 12 from the last batch that din´t boot properly into IRIX I´m curious if these would run with a fresh install.
Unfortunately, I don´t have a couple of system disks at hand - I use my intranet server as guinea pig for newly converted 600MHz modules.

Some recipients of converted modules reported difficulties I hadn´t that vanished after exchanging RAM modules in the past.
Always a good idea to check for RAM that´s fast enough.

Cheers

Walther

Always a good idea to check for RAM that´s fast enough.

Any data on RAM module brands which are known to have problems with the 600s?

Ian.
BUMP!

I am fairly certain I had a converted R7000 O2 amongst the "pile" of SGI I still had to sort, that was reported to stop working after about a year of use. Since a friend of mine has access to flow and reflow equipment, I tried to find the O2 in question and get the board out for reflow. I went through several rooms, gathered all the O2s I could find, tried booting them and one with a Rev. B CPU board didn't boot. I took that CPU board to the reflow guy and we there tried to pry the cooler off. Well, it came off, taking part of the CPU with it. I'm not certain it was in fact an RM7000/600, but it's broken now so I might as well put one on.

I'd like to get my hands on an RM7000/600 CPU and a PROM so I can get this board fixed and make certain it'll run properly. Does anyone happen to have spare CPUs or PROMs available, or access to "affordable" parts? I found a supplier for the CPU, but a single one will cost over $150 including shipping and I'll probably get import duties and fares over that. That will make the price a bit steep for "just an experiment" so I'm hoping for a friendlier alternative.
The price for this type of CPU never came down over time. 150$ is not a fortune; i would say you are lucky to find a supplier at all. I can remember that i have spent more than twice as much back in time when i got the parts from chicago joe. The system still works pretty well today.

If you don´t want to spend this much money you might still got to ebay and get a standard 300MHz R7000 or any R10000 for small money. That should be sufficient to revive the dead machine.
I have 4 or 5 O2s on the shelf. Since it'd be a "fun" project, the objective is to do it on the cheap. Spending this much money on an SGI would probably not be the most productive way to throw money at my SGI collection. I can think of other things for other machines that would be much nicer to have than spending over $150 on getting an O2 to run at 600MHz.
Compared to the cost/value of an R12K/400, I'd say $150 + fitting fees is a very good price indeed. IMO anything
less than $300 to get that mod sorted out is cheap.

Ian.