SGI: Hardware

installing network printer

Hi i have installed my network printer i.e. Hp 4700n on two SGI system running irix 6.2 but i am not able to configure it on one SGI system running irix 6.5. can anybody tll me how can i able to overcome this problem
I deleted the other version of this post under the "SGI Chat" forum.
toney, on 6.5 you have the option of installing Freeware or Nekoware CUPS for easy access to network printers. Works like a charm here with an HP5SiNX.
I've successfully made Impressario recognize my Xerox Phaser 6120, which is also a networked printer. The whole process was easier than I had imagined :)

First, you'll have to get the right PPD file for your printer -- usually you can download them from the manufacturer's site (Xerox has them in the Linux driver package and they're also included on the CD that comes with the printer).

Then read the document here to get an idea on how to install the PPD.

After you do that, go to Toolchest->System->Printer Manager, click the Add button and simply follow the instructions.
You can configure the printer options by clicking on the printer in the Printer Manager and clicking on the Options... button.

You can test if everything works by starting the Icon Catalog, going to the Printing tab and double-clicking on PrintStatus. Then just select Printer->Send Test Page.
If everything works, you'll be able to print from any program that supports it.

Note that Impressario only works nicely with PostScript printers, you'll need CUPS for printing to a non-PostScript printer.
ShadesofBlue how does all this install a *network* printer?
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.
Oops, sorry Blue :oops:

The original poster did say between 2 sgi systems.
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.
Actually, while we're on the subject, I've tried using Samba to try and get my O2 to communicate with the bj-200 ex i have connected on the pc.

Haven't been able to pull it off.

So, can anyone offer advice as to how to print from IRIX to a printer connected on a pc?

Is using Samba the way to go?
It's been a long time since I did it and but cupsaddsmb or something like that. Not sure which direction. It definitely uses cups to achieve this.

Damn it's been a long time and I've just realised my brain has a leak :(
Spidy wrote: Actually, while we're on the subject, I've tried using Samba to try and get my O2 to communicate with the bj-200 ex i have connected on the pc.

So, can anyone offer advice as to how to print from IRIX to a printer connected on a pc?

You should be able to use CUPS and IPP .... CUPS has never really been my friend but IPP should be more universal and easier than sharing a printer with samba ...
You should be able to use CUPS and IPP .... CUPS has never really been my friend but IPP should be more universal and easier than sharing a printer with samba ...

IPP easier than samba? I'll check it out, thanks Hamei.
Spidy wrote: Actually, while we're on the subject, I've tried using Samba to try and get my O2 to communicate with the bj-200 ex i have connected on the pc.

I use this http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/ method to print to my HP Laserjet 4050 (non postscript printer) from my SGI computers.
uh, why doesn't anyone use the BSD lpr package? works like a champ for me. even with samba. i even use a NeXTstation with a laser printer. it can't get more f*cked up than that.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
deBug wrote:

I use this http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/ method to print to my HP Laserjet 4050 (non postscript printer) from my SGI computers.

Has anyone here been successful in using this method with the newer (and now stansard) USB printers.

I tried this procedure but had to change the RPT1 to virtual USB port in order to print a test page *from Windows*. When trying to print from IRIX, my printer, a Brother DCP-130C, shows Receiving Data but doesn't actually print anything.

lpstat shows a job for a few seconds then nothing, while the printer is still in Receiving Data mode.

Any ideas/new links?