Nekochan Net

ESR: Smart Questions

Why not make this one sticky in the forums?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
SGI Systems: R4K :Indigo: /256MB/XS-24, R5K 150MHz :Indy: /160MB/XL-24, R10K 175MHz :O2: /640MB, R12K 400MHz :Octane2: /Vpro6/1GB & R4K 250 MHz :Indigo2IMP: /128 MB/XZ Extreme/GIO64 FDDI

"It's a UNIX system! I know this! "
That's actually a very good idea and a great article too; not sure where I'd put it and if anyone would actually read it though :/

I have an idea which thread brought this topic up and I feel your pain. Generally I tend to whistle and pretend I didn't see the post at all when they reach that point ;)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
A bit off topic but I enjoyed this from "How To Be A Hacker"
4. Help keep the infrastructure working

The hacker culture (and the engineering development of the Internet, for that matter) is run by volunteers. There's a lot of necessary but unglamorous work that needs done to keep it going — administering mailing lists, moderating newsgroups, maintaining large software archive sites, developing RFCs and other technical standards.

People who do this sort of thing well get a lot of respect, because everybody knows these jobs are huge time sinks and not as much fun as playing with code. Doing them shows dedication.

5. Serve the hacker culture itself

Finally, you can serve and propagate the culture itself (by, for example, writing an accurate primer on how to become a hacker :-) ). This is not something you'll be positioned to do until you've been around for while and become well-known for one of the first four things.

The hacker culture doesn't have leaders, exactly, but it does have culture heroes and tribal elders and historians and spokespeople. When you've been in the trenches long enough, you may grow into one of these. Beware: hackers distrust blatant ego in their tribal elders, so visibly reaching for this kind of fame is dangerous. Rather than striving for it, you have to sort of position yourself so it drops in your lap, and then be modest and gracious about your status.

Normally I can't stand ESR (he's one to talk about "blatant ego"), but this article was particularly good. I'm glad I took the time to read it.
Not sure how to do it, but it should be required reading for all of us. Really transcends the non-thinking response boundaries and helps us to make a site intelligent, yet warm and at the same time self-policing.
sjm
[Well Eyegor, I simply reversed the polarity, switching the positive and negative terminals, the lightning struck, and.... IT WAS ALIVE!]
A good article, the main problem being that 99% of people asking dumb questions (or good questions in a dumb way) will NEVER read it.

Using the internet should require a permit, like driving your car ;-)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...
:Octane2: :O2:
If someone asks a bad question, respond with this link. Simple as that.

virtualsim wrote: Using the internet should require a permit, like driving your car ;-)

So should:

Having children.
Voting.
etc.
myrrh wrote: Normally I can't stand ESR (he's one to talk about "blatant ego"), but this article was particularly good. I'm glad I took the time to read it.

Most of these "hacker gods" are a real pain in the arse but brilliant at the same time. If they don't take the time to "toot their own horn" so to speak, you probably will never hear of them.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.