Nekochan Net

phpBB 3.1

I've been wanting to update the forum software for the past month so finally got a chance to do so this evening. Hopefully everything is working as it should - the upgrade went pretty smoothly as far as I can see.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nice. now we just need the old theme back because the default here doesn't work well with neither dillo nor most mozilla versions for irix
r-a-c.de
It's now an optional theme - I'll see if I can add it.

Edit: Installed and should be selectable now from the UCP.
All Rights Reserved.
yay that was quick, much thanks! as if nothing had changed :D
imagine the irony letting this of all places become unusable for older machines/browsers :P

out of curiosity, did the previous version cause trouble? or some security issues?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: yay that was quick, much thanks! as if nothing had changed :D

Apparently the new features aren't exposed in the old subsilver2 theme, so it will look and act the same. prosilver scales with smartphones/tablets as well which is a big feature for me.

out of curiosity, did the previous version cause trouble? or some security issues?

Mostly just need to keep it up to date for security purposes. You really can't count on them to maintain the older codebase going forward.
All Rights Reserved.
found a bug already :P
on the notification options page, turning off notifications for new pms doesn't work even if email is selected, too.
r-a-c.de
I wonder if it's possible to get the prosilver theme from the older phpBB added back as an option? I find the subsilver2 theme to be very basic indeed, whereas the older prosilver theme still rendered fine on Dillo, SeaMonkey etc and looked nicer whilst still being broadly compatible with older browsers.

The new prosilver theme seems to be a step backwards IMHO from a usability point of view. Fixed width (which looks worse on my nice monitor now that Nekochan is squeezed into a narrow column down the middle), and no direct access to the "Active Topics" link without running through a pop-up Javascript menu. Getting the older prosilver theme back though would be a great middle-ground.

Just to note, not a complaint in any way, just a request! As always, thank you for the work you do with hosting these forums.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Trippynet wrote: I wonder if it's possible to get the prosilver theme from the older phpBB added back as an option?

Not possible; the architecture isn't compatible.
All Rights Reserved.
God, this new theme is so bad. Takes five times longer to load, the slowdown is clearly noticeable even on 3.2GHz Core i5, on an older machine like 360Mhz Octane(yes, not everyone here has dual 600) I have to "stop unresponsive script" over and over again. And who needs that crappy mobile version? Don't fix what's not broken.
:Octane2: :320:
nongrato wrote: Don't fix what's not broken.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I pay all the bills here, and I'm going to do what makes it easiest for me. If you don't like it you're free to go somewhere else; I keep this site up as a courtesy, not because it gets me the ladies.

I'll just lock this if it's just going to turn into a crapfest - I have better things to do with my time.
All Rights Reserved.