Nekochan Net

Nekochan not resolving?

I dont know where to post this, so i dropped it here.

I have had tremendous problems getting nekochan.net to resolve DNS lately.
I had to revert to entering a fixed IP in my /etc/hosts file to be able to access the pages.

Is there a major problem with DNS or is it just on my side?

Is there anyway I can help keeping nekochan up and serving us SGI fans?
I have found it to be a treasure chest of knowledge, and i would love to see it runnning for many years to come.

/Rikard

/Rikard
No issues that I'm aware of. I just tried it from my Droid phone and it came right up. Maybe try Google Public DNS?

Code:
$ nslookup www.nekochan.net 8.8.8.8
Server:      8.8.8.8
Address:   8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.nekochan.net
Address: 64.81.247.28

All Rights Reserved.
Seems like a glitch somwhere in my chain...
Suddenly i works 100%
Probably just cause i asked the question :)

Sorry for the white noice...

/Rikard
nekonoko wrote:
Maybe try Google Public DNS

In China, OpenDNS is pretty popular. It's currently maybe 30% faster than Google plus it's not google, if you know what I mean :D
Whichever works for ya - 8.8.8.8 is easy to remember though :)

OpenDNS results:

Code:
$ nslookup www.nekochan.net 208.67.222.222
Server:      208.67.222.222
Address:   208.67.222.222#53

$ nslookup www.nekochan.net 208.67.220.220
Server:      208.67.220.220
Address:   208.67.220.220#53

All Rights Reserved.
4.2.2.2 is one I use when I don't want to use somebody's dns

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
I saw Baidu crawling the site today - first I'd noticed that.

China needs google more than google needs China. This ought to get interesting.

And it ought to be a (another) warning to all foreign companies that the long-term goal of China is to take the foreigners' money then kick them out. Having a large business here is kind of stupid.

Btw, just in case we hear the "google can't compete, they don't localize, don't understand the market" Wall Street Journal garbage, google is far better than Baidu. China Telecom is like AT&T used to be, a monopoly. Except the government owns China Telecom and they have absolutely no scruples. We have no laws here, just regulations. So China Telecom will poison the dns, redirect people who want to go to google to Baidu, make using Google a miserable experience (in Steve Ballmer's immortal words.)

Recently if I do a google images search for "crescent wrench" 80% of the returns are blocked. Politically sensitive my ass. Either the people at the Great Firewall are morons (quite possible) or they are purposely making google a miserable experience.

It's not political, you can forget "human rights" and Ribbet and failing gongs and all that garbage. Has nothing to do with that and the do-gooders wailing about the evil commies are merely useful idiots. It's money, pure and simple. They make Mickeysoft look like sophomores.
:lol:

Baidu/Google aside, you posted the traceroute issue right after the system had come back up from a reboot (down for a minute or two for a brief config test). Hopefully it was due to that :)

All Rights Reserved.
D-EJ915 wrote:
4.2.2.2 is one I use when I don't want to use somebody's dns

4.2.2.2 still is somebody's DNS - it's just GTEI/Level 3 and they're just running dumb DNS servers, not collecting lookup habits like Google are most certainly doing.

I use 4.2.2.2 as well when I can't think of something else off the top of my head.

No, was that way for three days. Got the stonewall act from China Telecom, suddenly tonight it works again. World power, ya know ? Acting like a bunch of six year olds. :roll:
Ah okay :)

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Ah okay :)

Google is leaving China. Closing their office, giving everyone six months salary and closing the doors.

It's not about "human rights" and censorship, either.

Edit : there's a strong rumour that the actual cause of the google departure is that they were compromised by three individuals. One of their employees here in Shanghai accessed source code he had no reason to be looking at then disappeared. Rumors are swirling about the National Security Ministry, million rmb payouts, and other interesting stuff.

Let's see what happens next :P