IBM

media bay in IntelliStation POWER systems

I had an IBM DDS-4 drive, I decided to build it into my IntelliStation POWER system. But, is it me (or is there something missing from my system), but where is the power cable? Also, I don't get the 68p-F (HD) connector they placed onto the media bay assembly ‘tray,’ like that you need to get an unwieldy and rather long cable (unless you made one yourself) for a very short distance. I guess I'll order one, since I don't have a spare one handy. But then I still have a missing power cable...

Has anyone else had issues with this too? Any good solutions?

Stick the drive in an external enclosure and plug it in a SCSI connector in the back of the machine..
You can transport it between machines quickly.
I collect external SCSI enclosures whenever I can..

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :0300: <-> :0300: <-> :0300: :O200: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2000: :hpserv: J5600,
3 x SUN, 2 x Mac, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 2 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.
The exterior is rather fragile, yes, although I bought mine miraculously in one piece (it came from BMW ). The interior is not all too bad, nice and modular.

The problem is, the only enclosures I have at the moment are 50p SCSI (with ribbon cable) for older type SCSI CD/DVD-ROM drives, so I'd need a converter then (and those are on average more expensive than a suiting ribbon cable). I still have no idea where to get the electricity from... (The slimline DVD and floppy/diskette drive are powered by the custom ‘media bay’ SCA-like connector, obviously).

I bought a 7028-C61 which was reported as being dead by the seller, turned out he didn't know how to start it from the management port. Apart from having to have power applied to both PSUs and hang something off the serial ports I can't think of anything you haven't tried.
I haven't connected anything to the serial ports, but I did connect a keyboard (and a mouse); as it worked before, I figured it should too now. I also powered up with two PSUs installed (something which I couldn't do before, but for the sake of testing I did). So I'll just go ahead and try out connecting a serial console cable, see if that improves the situation. (I also reseated some modules and parts).