HP/DEC/Compaq

Got a pdp 11/23

Picked this up about a week ago, still getting it cleaned up.

:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:
Oh, also a ASR33 teletype. Not exactly dec, but its going to be the main console for my 11/34, so its kinda relevant.

:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:
Mmm, nice :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
Lucky dog! Looks like you've got a bit more than a plain 11/23 there. In fact, is that a pair of TU58 tape drives mounted in the top of the chassis, with a controller above the card cage? And what else is on that grey board with the i8253 timer?

I'll bet this system's got an interesting story to tell...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Contrary to what the pictures look like, i did not take a bite out of the corner O.o
The corosion is quite bad in the corner. Power supply is quite crusty as well. I am thinking about replacing the power supply with a modern atx variant with some over voltage protection, etc, to protect the boards better than that behemoth of a power supply.

that is the tape controller mounted above the card cage, correct. kinda an odd setup.
It does have 2 TU58 drives in it, although they need new capsans and i have no tapes. I fail to see the point though, it attaches via serial and can redially be emulated with a dos pc and a serial cable. I could do away with tape read errors all together. It just seems like a finicky tape setup from the get go to me. Maybe ill get the drives going if i can get a bunch of tapes for a good price. Again though, i have a 9 track tape drive in a full size rack over here that is known working and i can get the tapes for $15 a reel, ill stick with the known working drive in the rack for now.

The grey board is a boot board. looks home brewed. The machine was custom built in some university in Illinois, thats all the story i got on it. The seller said that there is a second machine just like it, i do not see myself needing another of this particular design. Quiet and tiny compared to the 11/34 rack.
Heh - I have a couple custom-built NS32k-based systems from the University of New Brunswick, Interesting design decisions all around. Lots of heavy gauge sheet steel, but very well-formed and nicely finished.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: