HP/DEC/Compaq

How to install X11R5 on Ultrix?

I found some copies of X11R5 like this one

http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R5/

where they are just some unbundled tarballs.

Now that I have my Ultrix installed, how can I install the X11R5 system

on my Ultrix?

Thanks
Jack
ultrix does come with x. if you wanna replace the native x you have to consider a lot of things and might still break some. obviously the first step would be compiling it on ultrix and then carefully replacing all parts of the original one and checking all related scripts you can find for incompatibilities. then you could hope for no serious issues and take it for a first ride
r-a-c.de
DEC typically distributed Ultrix in two flavors - just Ultrix, or as the Ultrix Workstation Software (UWS) that included X11 and some simple applications.* So Jack might not have X at all yet. Jack, care to clarify?

I haven't done anything like this in ages. But if you've installed Ultrix alone, you can probably just follow the instructions included with X11R5 on how to set it up.

* The UWS major version typically trailed the underlying Ultrix version by one (Ultrix 3.x vs. UWS 2.x). I'm not sure what release of X11 they stopped at.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: DEC typically distributed Ultrix in two flavors - just Ultrix, or as the Ultrix Workstation Software (UWS) that included X11 and some simple applications.* So Jack might not have X at all yet. Jack, care to clarify?

No, probably not, it even won't start an xterm when I typed it in.
It has DECterm though, no xman, xearth or xeyes etc.
It has the Motif Program manager though.
Thanks
Jack
lucky7456969 wrote: No, probably not

do you have a desktop or not?
r-a-c.de
like that..
That's DECwindows (which eventually became known as “DECwindows Classic”), which therefore means you also have some version of X11. It may not seem like much, but that's what was typical (also for OpenVMS, OSF/1 AXP, Digital/Tru64 UNIX and whatever else I might be forgetting), until CDE-based DECwindows came along for a number of DEC/Compaq operating systems.
:O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: | PREVIOUSLY ALSO: :O3200: :Tezro: :O2: :Indigo2: :rx2600: :rx2600: :rx2600: :zx6000: * :zx6000: *
(* HP Integrity rx2620 “Montecito”)

LOOKING FOR: SGI Indigo² Maximum IMPACT graphics board set, preferably with ≥1 × 4-Mbyte TRAM.
Yup, that's DECwindows alright.

If you want whichever standard X11 apps and utilities aren't included in DECwindows, you can go ahead and build X11R5 - easiest to leave the DEC provided X server and session management alone, build generic X11 in a separate tree (e.g. if DECwindows uses /usr/X11, build for /usr/X11R5), adjust paths and enjoy life.

Leaving the DEC login and session management in place, you can probably still get your window manager of choice etc just by manipulating your dotfiles.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: