HP/DEC/Compaq

AXPpci33 - won't boot

I have an AXPpci33 with ARC, but after powering it up it will only display the "BIOS emulation v2.03..." message and after that does nothing. I tried to boot the fail-safe floppy (moved the jumper according to the manual), but it displays nothing and won't even touch the FDD. Any hints where the problem may be?

Never had an AXPpci33, but with certain firmware versions (i.e. the OpenVMS-capable one) my Multia would have issues if the NVRAM battery died. Recovery required replacing the battery, flashing on the "official" version via failsafe, then re-flashing to OVMS firmware.

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I ran an AXPpci33 as a firewall for many years. Those systems used x86 emulation to initialize the ROM of the video card, and IIRC, that didn't play nice with many video cards. If it hangs just after the 'BIOS emulation v2.03' message, this may be the problem. Tried a different video card yet? I think I used a Matrox Millenium (with VRAM option card 8-) ) in mine.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
I used a Matrox Millenium (with VRAM option card 8-) ) ...

Did the Millenium have vram or wram ? (double your pleasure, double your fun !)

Never had an AXPpci33, but with certain firmware versions (i.e. the OpenVMS-capable one) my Multia would have issues if the NVRAM battery died. Recovery required replacing the battery, flashing on the "official" version via failsafe, then re-flashing to OVMS firmware.

I tried running it with the DALLAS chip removed (the one saying NVRAM, there's another DALLAS with an RTC). I will have to look if I have any other motherboard with a compatible DALLAS chip and will try to change it.
jan-jaap wrote:
I ran an AXPpci33 as a firewall for many years. Those systems used x86 emulation to initialize the ROM of the video card, and IIRC, that didn't play nice with many video cards. If it hangs just after the 'BIOS emulation v2.03' message, this may be the problem. Tried a different video card yet? I think I used a Matrox Millenium (with VRAM option card 8-) ) in mine.

That was my first suspect - I tried running it with a dozen PCI and ISA cards and it didn't work. I even tried it with an ZLXp-L1, it still hangs, though I'm not sure if this card was ever meant to be paired with a 21066. I also have a ZLXp-E1, but it is probably dead - it won't start on ANY motherboard I tried on. I probably have a Matrox Millenium so I will give it a try (I tried a Matrox Ultima, it didn't work). Unfortunately I don't have any VGA from the list in the AXPpci33 manual.