HP/DEC/Compaq

FAFNER:: retires

Catching up on some old mail. Looks like VAXMAN finally had to retire FAFNER:: from daily service.

Fafner was (and is) a VAX 7820, one of the last publicly-accessible big SMP VAXes.

More here: http://northtech.us/content/20130123/end-era-rip-fafner

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
:( :( :( just last year i chat with VAXMAN for my new account on FAFNER.. goodbye FAFNER.. and welcome FASOLT..

:( :( :( just last year i chat with VAXMAN for my new account on FAFNER.. goodbye FAFNER.. and welcome FASOLT..

lets see if they going do build up walhall once again, and which one of the two the get laid by freia *gg*

The cool thing on VAX was that we where so many on the same node all the time and it never crashed ever, if there was a need to a boot they told us in advance!

"system going down back up shortly via automatic reboot"

http://www.textfiles.com/100/vaxen.jok

R.I.P VAXn

risk.
Sad, I was a regular user there and enjoyed the great amount of software. Too bad connections weren't always fast, even now with FASOLT:: (the replacement DS20E, not DS20 by the way). But, I heard that that's largely caused by uplink issues...

mila wrote:
Ohh now its been 3-4 years since I did use VMS, $ set host ..., set def d$7:[000000.mila] haha what a syntax once you been on Unix for a while.

You can omit “000000”, per fileSpec, when you're at the root. (I have no idea what “d$7” is, a privately defined logical? It doesn't look like a valid VMS storage device nor allocation class.)

Either way:
Code:
$ DEFINE $HOME D$7:[mila]
$ SET DEFAULT $HOME

Or, assuming that “D$7:[mila]” is configured as your “SYS$LOGIN” (i.e. UNIX “$HOME” equivalent):
Code:
$ SET DEFAULT SYS$LOGIN:

If “SET DEFAULT” just happens to be too exhausting for you:
Code:
$ CD :== SET DEFAULT

From there, e.g.:
Code:
$ CD $HOME

But, yes , UNIX is probably more for you...

Quote:
Unix was and is much better.

FAFNER::'s successor, FASOLT::, is still running VMS though. Dr. Ulmann still appreciates VMS (as do I) and I laud him for continuing to run and provide VMS for remote, public, access.

• Offering various remaining (system) parts, many compatible with IRIX and OpenVMS AXP / I64 ;
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1 GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
If you try to log on in the usual manner and find out you can't, it's best to ask for your password to be reset.

• Offering various remaining (system) parts, many compatible with IRIX and OpenVMS AXP / I64 ;
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1 GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).