HP/DEC/Compaq

HP C8000, PA-8800 1GHz, 4GB, FireGL X1 - Page 3

Biznass wrote:
In regards to the sound board chip it's a "cm18738" (at least the board I'm looking at) if that helps anybody out.

Yes, you're right, the CM I 8738 chip is used on original AB620-60503(a) sound card option for C8000. On chip you'll see the following notes:
Code:
Sonic Engine
icmi8738/pci-6ch-mx
(the card itself is not multi-channel btw).
But it doesn't absolutely mean that any CMI8738 sound card will work there (but it maybe supported by OSS/HPUX, as many other options, like Audigy or SB Live). The only proved option with this chip is a AB620-60503( x ) (philips 1602 rev X ), but it's usually hard to find and they are sell at high price, as bonus you'll have connectors for speaker and front-panel phones out. I personally still suggest Genius-Kye Sound Maker Live 5.1 (more info is provided at the link in my previous post), at least in my country i got one for sum equals to $4 USD and got it promptly :P Sound Maker option should also work on HP-UX/IA64 target, but i have only one positive report about it, and lazy to check it by myself :oops: (i.e. i don't want to move this card from my C8000 to my rx2600 and install HP-UX on rx2600, which i don't have there, maybe later, when i'll get another one card).

Hello, just got my first c8000 (has 256 MB graphics card with dual DVI). Could anybody please suggest how I can get a copy of HP-UX 11.1. I do have the disks for 11.0. Would this earlier version work on the c8000? I am mostly interested in running a copy of FrameMaker 6.0 that I have for UNIX. Still running version 5.5 on my Octane2.

Thanks in advance for any help

Leonardo
No, you need HPUX 11i v1 (11.11).
See http://www.openpa.net/hp-ux_unix.html#hpux11iv1
11.0 doesn't support PA8800/8900 processors.

The license is transferrable with the hardware, so you should be able to buy a used media set.

R-ten-K wrote: Linux in HP-PA works fine as long as you keep yourself to one PA-8800 or PA-8900 chips in your C8000. Apparently, there are no developers with access to multichip C8000s or PA Superdomes, so the main issue with Linux in this architecture is that the algorithm for SMP coherency is rather "brute force" and since the latest PAs had very large L2s (32MB and 64MB respectively) things like cache flushes can induce some serious overhead.

so, Linux is not good on a dual CPU. Also, 64bit kernels seem to have troubles.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You