HP/DEC/Compaq

up2000+ questions - Page 2

jmd8800 wrote:
The BSDs are an option as i have never used any of the flavors much. I am looking for some sort of distributed computing effort such as boinc or distributed.net (others welcome) once i get the kernel compiled for dual cpu. any suggestions on distributed computing efforts welcome.

when running single cpu in debian this machine drinks 240watts. i can only imagine what the meter will say when 2 are running.

There is no need to compile, unless you really want. Just install the SMP kernel, edit aboot.conf and you are ready to go.
There seems to be some issues with Debian on alpha. At least on my system many programs crash with no obvious reason. For example web browsers crash with most sites.

Fedora port for alpha works pretty well.
theinonen wrote:

Too bad it hasn't had an updated package since April.

Too bad it hasn't had an updated package since April.

Too bad there is no user friendly installer for Gentoo. I would love to install and try it, but everytime I look at the installation instructions it seems like too much work. After a long day at work it would be much more convenient to have a working base system with just a couple enter presses.

Are there any plans for a installer that would be more suitable to a lazy people like me, maybe something similar that NetBSD has?

By the way, how long it would take to have a fully working desktop installation of Gentoo on a ES40 with 3 x 833 MHz EV68 processors and 4GB RAM?

Still I would like to have more than one choice of Linux distribution for alpha. Having only one choice is comparable to an endangered animal. If there is more than one, there is still a chance. If there is only one, it may live for a some time but after that there is nothing left.
To me having only one choice sounds like communism. It did not work in Soviet Union, and is not working very well in any other place.
theinonen wrote:
Still I would like to have more than one choice of Linux distribution for alpha. Having only one choice is comparable to an endangered animal. If there is more than one, there is still a chance. If there is only one, it may live for a some time but after that there is nothing left.
To me having only one choice sounds like communism. It did not work in Soviet Union, and is not working very well in any other place.

Alpha isn't shiny and new enough for the Linux guys to take much of an interest in. xBSD will be around for a while, though.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: