Sun

mount old solaris cd

this might be trivial but i couldn't get it done :P

i have an old workshop cd from 1994 in mint condition but i can't mount it ... anywhere. tried on solaris with all options i could think of. then tried on linux with the different ufs options and whatnot; no dice. tried no options at all - same result.
i have that cd twice and had the same problem with both and both are in great condition so i don't think they're broken or so.

so is there any trick to mount them? according to the booklet just -t ufs should do it but it doesn't :-|
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: this might be trivial but i couldn't get it done :P

i have an old workshop cd from 1994 in mint condition but i can't mount it ... anywhere. tried on solaris with all options i could think of. then tried on linux with the different ufs options and whatnot; no dice. tried no options at all - same result.
i have that cd twice and had the same problem with both and both are in great condition so i don't think they're broken or so.

so is there any trick to mount them? according to the booklet just -t ufs should do it but it doesn't :-|

For a start, -t only works on Solaris 1.x. You need -F for Solaris 2.x. Second, are you sure it's a ufs FS, and not hsfs? If it is ufs, it probably has a Sun disk label, which would suggest you need to mount a slice other than s2, and may explain why linux can't cope with it.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
kjaer wrote: For a start, -t only works on Solaris 1.x. You need -F for Solaris 2.x

i tried both

are you sure it's a ufs FS, and not hsfs?

no, i'm not sure of anything. that's why i posted this :P
the cd's booklet says to mount via -F ufs so it looks like it's ufs

If it is ufs, it probably has a Sun disk label, which would suggest you need to mount a slice other than s2, and may explain why linux can't cope with it.

well neither linux nor solaris could handle it and the booklet reads:

Code: Select all

install for solaris 2.x:
mount -F ufs -r /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s2 ...

so they recommend slice 2
r-a-c.de
I tried an assortment of workshop discs I have here. only one of them was ufs (V5N1 for Solaris 1.x). All the rest were hsfs, including V5N1 for Solaris 2.x, V3N1 for x86, and V6N1 for SPARC.

I don't know the provenance of your disc, but perhaps the booklet is for some other one. Did you try mounting it as hsfs?
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
kjaer wrote: perhaps the booklet is for some other one.

no it was still sealed and what's written on the cd matches the booklet's contents.

Did you try mounting it as hsfs?

of course and any other fs i could think of. then tried fstyp on all slices ... nothing either. i'm starting to to think that maybe my cdrom is the cause? i have no sparc box available so i tried solaris x86 with a plextor 880sa and an old ide lg with tru64. gonna try some others with other machines now ...
r-a-c.de
okay figured it out. it's an endian thing. my cd is ufs created on a sparc and that just doesn't work on x86. however there's a workaround i found thanks to the freebsd mailing list ( http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 19798.html ):

on linux:

Code: Select all

cat /dev/cdrom > cd-image
mount -t ufs -o ro,loop cd-image /mnt
r-a-c.de
For cases like this, when you don't exactly know what you have in your hands, the disktype utility is handy.
Torfinn
tingo wrote: For cases like this, when you don't exactly know what you have in your hands, the disktype utility is handy.

Good point, I forgot Solaris has 'fstyp -v'.
kjaer wrote:
tingo wrote: For cases like this, when you don't exactly know what you have in your hands, the disktype utility is handy.

Good point, I forgot Solaris has 'fstyp -v'.

i didn't:
foetz wrote: then tried fstyp on all slices

which wasn't the problem tho since it was clear thanks to the booklet that it was an ufs cd.
r-a-c.de
All the rest were hsfs, including V5N1 for Solaris 2.x, V3N1 for x86, and V6N1 for SPARC.

folie iphone 6s plus
Träume nicht Dein Leben, sondern lebe Deinen Traum. hulle6
Under SunOS 4.1.x (Solaris 1.x) this maybe helps:

# mount -rt 4.2 /dev/sr /mnt

CDROM has a regular filesystem (ufs, UNIX File System, based on BSD Fat Fast File System), also known as 4.2, no HSFS