Sun

RDI Britelite IPX on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111547545918

No connection to the seller, except I bought something else from him recently and noticed he's had it listed for a while. Power supply looks like a relatively easy replacement, and I can't think of another SPARC laptop off the top of my head which has SBus slots?
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
wow, didn't know any SPARCbooks other than Tadpole/Naturetech ever existed.
:Octane2: :320:
IIRC, with the Britelites you put an actual IPX logicboard in there. I don't remember how they brought video to the laptop screen - perhaps an SBUS card/connector.

Have fun finding a SCSI drive to drop in that thing, especially if it requires a 2.5" drive.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
Scutboy wrote: Have fun finding a SCSI drive to drop in that thing, especially if it requires a 2.5" drive.
That was a serious problem, but there are workarounds these days. Like the SCS2SD Powerbook Edition 2.5" SCSI to MicroSD adapter.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: That was a serious problem, but there are workarounds these days. Like the SCS2SD Powerbook Edition 2.5" SCSI to MicroSD adapter.

True, but those options can be hard to source as well some times.

We are pretty lucky these days, though, with Rich Dreher's CFFA cards for the Apple ][, the FloppyEmu for Macs from BigMessoWires, and the SCSI2SD boards from codesrc, as well as others. Makes storage and use of old software easy, and revitalizes some of these old machines from a usability standpoint.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
The SCSI2SD is only semi working at the moment in my Sparcbook 3GX... but Micheal McMaster has been extremely responsive in helping getting it working.

Currently it works fine as long as you force the disk you are using to read only (requires a special firmware if your OS tends to force RW mode anyway like OpenBSD). It works RW as well... except it will time out sometimes which prevents booting all the way to login it does get up to syslogd and such so quite far. I should know more in a couple weeks ... after Micheal has had time to implement some more features into the SCSI2SD to alleviate the problems. It may end up being limited to 8Gb or less cards sinec those have smaller block sizes... which leads to lower latency which is what is causing the timeouts (we think).

I thought about making an offer on that RDI.. but after all it is just an IPX in a special case with LCD.... and I already have an LX or SS2 depending on which way I want to go with the itch scratching...

Also... RDI also made the Powerlite which would have been a bit newer than this Brightlite. Tadpole ended up buying RDI..... which then got bought by General Dynamics. Most of Tadpole probably went into the C4 Systems devision... My first job was acutally at a company that used to be part of GD then split off :)