Sun

UltraSparc IIIi Clock Frequency Settings

Hi everyone. Very interesting forum, kinda makes me want to spend more money and get some SGI stuff. :)

I recently purchased a Sun Blade 2500 system, which I am in the process of getting up and running. I have OpenSXCE on it, a LSI SAS controller, and a 60GB OCZ SSD. It runs reasonably fast given it's age. I have a dual-CPU model, though the Ebay seller forgot the second CPU. Anyway, I bought a pair of 1.5 GHz CPUs on Ebay for $25, I figured it was worth the chance. However, while the CPU I put in the socket does work, it shows up at 1.28 GHz. Is there any way to make it run at 1.5?

Thanks!

-Matt

PS Moving from the XVR-100 to the 1200 was not a fun experience to get the console working again...
According to the doc the Red system only runs up to 1.28GHz. The Silver runs up to 1.6. Also according to the doc the CPUs in the SB2500 are IIIi not III.

It's 3 bits so ... 8 combinations..should be easy enough to run through :) Unless someone else has done this and is certain all the ratios are lower then the 010 pattern is.

-Matt
Well I ran through the possible combinations today:

000 - Three Beeps
001 - 1200 (150)
010 - 1280 (160) - Default Setting
011 - Three Beeps
100 - 720 (120)
101 - Three Beeps
110 - 1064 (152)
111 - Three Beeps

The number in () is the bus speed.

So indeed, it does look like there is no way to run the CPUs at any higher speed then 1280 with the Red series motherboard.

-Matt
Dual 1.28s are really not bad. I have a bunch of V210 with 2 x 1.34 and they move right along. Look at it this way, you're probably protected against overheating since your CPUs are rated at 1.5 and you're only running them at 1.28. The 1.5s throw an awful lot of heat even compared to the 1.34. Consider it free frequency scaling ;-)

The speed isn't terrible at all - just not blazingly fast either. :)

Ie, my Dell laptop with a SSD loads Ubuntu in 10 seconds from the bootloader.

The Sun takes about 1 min 20 seconds to hit X. Which, given it's age, isn't terrible, but... :)

Still trying to figure out what i want to do to get into IRIX. That and AIX are the "odd" Unicies that I want to try.

-Matt
mdrobnak wrote:
Re-did the thermal compound with Arctic Silver so it should run nice and cool.

The speed isn't terrible at all - just not blazingly fast either. :)

I mean for a SPARC box, it's fast enough for what it's for.

mdrobnak wrote:
Ie, my Dell laptop with a SSD loads Ubuntu in 10 seconds from the bootloader.

I would rather run S10 on a Sun Blade than Ubuntu on the fastest laptop in the world. YMMV :twisted:

mdrobnak wrote:
Still trying to figure out what i want to do to get into IRIX. That and AIX are the "odd" Unicies that I want to try.

I'd like to see Miod (forum member and OpenBSD developer) port IRIX to the Lemote Fuloong. I imagine I would like AIX also but have no POWER gear.

Bwahahahaha! I'm not sure IRIX is endian-neutral... and then, the graphics performance would suck, bigtime. The Fuloong uses a SiS 315 craptastic GPU.

:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Be, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote:
bluecode wrote:
I'd like to see Miod (forum member and OpenBSD developer) port IRIX to the Lemote Fuloong. I imagine I would like AIX also but have no POWER gear.

Bwahahahaha! I'm not sure IRIX is endian-neutral

DOH!!! I forgot about that. I really need to get some SGI gear.

miod wrote:
... and then, the graphics performance would suck, bigtime. The Fuloong uses a SiS 315 craptastic GPU.

That part I'm painfully aware of. I use my Mini headless. Any hope for an accelerated framebuffer in the near future?