Sun

Enterprise 3000 PSU Question

I have two power supplies. One is a 300-1307-07 which was originally in the system and the other is a 300-1400-01 that came from an Enterprise 3500. Both work and both fit in PSU bay 1 in my 3000.

The system has space for a second PSU and the backplane connections are identical. The problem is that the second bay is keyed so that neither of my PSU's can fit.

Attachment:
CRW_8162.JPG
CRW_8162.JPG [ 268.64 KiB | Viewed 615 times ]

Is it safe to remove they keying and slide in the second PSU or is there a specific PSU I require?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I used to have one of those things, but I think mine only had one of the PSUs. I'd recommend going to SunShack to check out the Sun Systems Handbook ... but SunShack seems to be offline :cry: . Anyone know of another site with it up?

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
No.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19095-01/ent ... 051-11.pdf

Page 6-1. I found that in about twelve seconds, btw, using the googles. (novel!)

Things are usually keyed for a reason.

I used to have one of those things, but I think mine only had one of the PSUs. I'd recommend going to SunShack to check out the Sun Systems Handbook ... but SunShack seems to be offline :cry: . Anyone know of another site with it up?

That's because this IS your old enterprise. :P

Right, so it's a specialty module. that answer my question.

kjaer wrote:
Things are usually keyed for a reason.

Exactly. But the question is, what is the reason ?

Sometimes the answer is, "So we can charge you $500 for something that costs $39.95 over at Fry's."

Truth.

In fact, maybe more often true than not ? The number of "Made in USA" items I see that are actually made in China is discouraging. Corporates are not very honest.
Hamei's got the idea.
The square peg may not fit in the round hole because the manufacturer glued curved inserts to the sides of the hole.

You guys and your wacky conspiracy theories. Next you'll be trying to tell me that |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| put epoxy in the "extra" backplane slots of perfectly good VAXstation II's in order to create the lower-priced VS II/RC model...

Edit: Examples like this aside, I assume keying is there for a reason until shown otherwise. There are cases, Sun was hardly immune to these practices, but you need to do the legwork.

The square peg may not fit in the round hole because the manufacturer glued curved inserts to the sides of the hole.

Based on the linked manual the secondary PPU doesn't have an AC feed. Depending on how it's designed that could be a significant difference that would preclude using the "standard" AC-equipped PPU.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
smj wrote:
You guys and your wacky conspiracy theories.

You're right, sometimes it's Area 51 paranoia.

But there are enough examples of corporate deceit to make it worth taking a look. kjaer is right, there is always a reason. But whether the reason is for our benefit or not, that's a different question.

You guys and your wacky conspiracy theories.

You're right, sometimes it's Area 51 paranoia.

Did I need to put the sarcasti-smiley in there? DEC really did create the VAXstation II/RC by taking perfectly good VS II's and putting epoxy in the open backplane slots, then selling them cheaper. And of course offering an upgrade to a regular VS II that was nothing more than a backplane swap. :x

You don't have to tell me about corporate deceit hamei, I work in the financial sector... :twisted:

Hamei's got the idea.

Based on the linked manual the secondary PPU doesn't have an AC feed. Depending on how it's designed that could be a significant difference that would preclude using the "standard" AC-equipped PPU.

Yeah, in this case I ahve a feeling that PPU0 does its own magic and also passes voltages over to PPU1 to redundantly work should there be a failure.

It could be something as simple as there is nothing in between the mains receptacle and the ac on the backplane but a circuit breaker. Then if you used two supplies each with receptacles you would have live pins on the second suppy begging to short on something.

It could be something as simple as there is nothing in between the mains receptacle and the ac on the backplane but a circuit breaker. Then if you used two supplies each with receptacles you would have live pins on the second suppy begging to short on something.

Could be, but I'd check it out before trying one. It could be several other things as well, including reassigned pins that would put VAC somewhere it really shouldn't be.

smj wrote:
Did I need to put the sarcasti-smiley in there? DEC really did create the VAXstation II/RC by taking perfectly good VS II's and putting epoxy in the open backplane slots, then selling them cheaper. And of course offering an upgrade to a regular VS II that was nothing more than a backplane swap. :x

You don't have to tell me about corporate deceit hamei, I work in the financial sector... :twisted:

SGI did something similar with the Challenge DM -- a Challenge L restricted to a single CPU board.

Fortunately, the restriction wasn't enforced with epoxy but with a strategically placed screw. Remove the screw, and voila: Challenge L .

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
[Fortunately, the restriction wasn't enforced with epoxy but with a strategically placed screw. Remove the screw, and voila: Challenge L .

... giving yet another dimension to the term, "screwed."

Oh come on, you knew somebody was going to have to do that when you wrote it! :)

[Fortunately, the restriction wasn't enforced with epoxy but with a strategically placed screw. Remove the screw, and voila: Challenge L .

... giving yet another dimension to the term, "screwed."

Oh come on, you knew somebody was going to have to do that when you wrote it! :)

Also one of the few times when having a screw loose is positive.