Sun

A little SparcBook conquest

So I recently purchased a SparcBook 3TX... I just got a job (ironically enough with a Redmond-based company directly responsible for killing the the unix boxes we all know and love) and graduated, so I went a little apeshit with my offer and spent a fair bit too much-- Neat machine, but Ok, CDE. Cool. Now what?

The thing was starting to get pretty boring, and buyer's remorse is a bitch I did not feel like dealing with.

I wanted to get OpenStep mach running, but there's no sparc driver for the P9100 under it.

So, OpenStep Solaris it is then...

Now I'm having a bit more fun.. 8-)

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Hey, that's pretty hot. The closest thing I have in my collection to a SPARCBook is my "luggable" Solbourne S3000 with that feel-the-heat orange monochrome gas plasma display. Even has the case!

Dude that solbourne is the SHIT!
A retina-searing classic.

Wherever did you find that thing?! No lie, I'm a bit jealous...

I have a soft spot for Solbournes since I used them in undergrad. Shame they're "just incompatible enough" to be difficult to run anything but OS/MP on. But this Sol is a nice, space-saving machine (I used to use a S4100DX but Sun monitors are cantankerous and heavy). I got Chimera and X11R6 running on it and it purrs like a kitten.

Still, that is a nice little SPARCBook. I'm still holding out for one of the IBM AIX laptops personally myself.

probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Well if you get tired of it send me a pm... I've seen 3 of these online in the past year and have missed each one well still waiting on the one richtom had but he is MIA it seems... I mean what better thing could there be to set on the dinette of a 1974 winnabago :P (SS20 sure wont fit not with even my sony monitor lol)
Have you had a SPARC ELC? Deeper case but much easier to find. The Sun Voyager is also rare.

Really? I must not be paying attention - haven't seen one on offer in ages, and I wouldn't mind picking one up if the price were right...

ian_finder wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote:
Hey, that's pretty hot. The closest thing I have in my collection to a SPARCBook is my "luggable" Solbourne S3000 with that feel-the-heat orange monochrome gas plasma display. Even has the case!

Dude that solbourne is the SHIT!
A retina-searing classic.

And that prompted me to search for some pictures, like these: http://www.sonic.net/~coad/s3000/index.html
Yes, that is one classy computer!
Droool....

Well if you get tired of it send me a pm... I've seen 3 of these online in the past year and have missed each one well still waiting on the one richtom had but he is MIA it seems... I mean what better thing could there be to set on the dinette of a 1974 winnabago :P (SS20 sure wont fit not with even my sony monitor lol)

I'm a big fan of sparc chips in moving vehicles. I will be traveling home with it shortly, maybe I'll get a shot of it running for 5 minutes off the battery on the plane.

I missed an ebay auction that went super cheap and vowed not to mess it up again.

When you say richtom do you mean Tom C. from rescue? If so I have some bad news-- I may have beat you to the punch. 8-)

tingo wrote:
Neat! I always wanted a real unix laptop / portable, but there aren't many of them available now, and they usually goes for a price well out of my range.

For sure. I'd love a Tadpole AlphaBook. The Sparcbooks do come up on ebay every now and again.