SGI: Video

VBOB and other required video hardware for CCTV setup?

Is there a way to use or setup an SGI config to monitor and record multiple video channels for a CCTV setup for security? Ridiculous and over complicated I know and far out of scope but that is what I want to waste my time and money on. What are your thoughts? I am thinking small Sony lcd monitors and such. If you think it is not too stupid, what should I start looking for to acquire for the setup?

Thanks,
Rev.
Always act incompetent, so they expect less of you and your job will be much easier.
SGI actually sold 802.11b/g surveillance cameras during their last years (around 2004). I can't see any reason you would install analog CCTV for that purpose today.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I thought about doing something rather similar as I perused Maplins... but didn't.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Depending on how many channels you want it would get prohibitively expensive to use multiple VBOBs or the Challenge series Sirius Digital Video options. If you only want two channels, either of those would be fine. Obviously you already know that's not what they were designed for... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
robespierre wrote: I can't see any reason you would install analog CCTV for that purpose today.

OP didn't mention what sort of VBOB he intends to use, but DMedia breakouts for DM2, DM3 etc. are all digital: SDI and HD-SDI. Cameras with (HD)SDI outputs are not all that uncommon.

Regardless, (HD)SDI is uncompressed video. A single HD-SDI stream can be > 200MB/s so this wouldn't be very practical.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
(HD)SDI are less robust than analog CVBS because they are digital, without any error correction. It's even less practical for a fixed installation like surveillance that has to work unattended. And coaxial is expensive and difficult to pull.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
My analog goes through an Analog-->SD convertor I purchased from Blackmagic then to SD IN on the vbob. Works a treat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: Analog-->SD convertor I purchased from Blackmagic...

To paraphrase Hit-Girl herself, "Hey I've got one of those!" :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
I could have been more detailed in my response but like most projects, low quality analog would do. Two channels would be enough but having at least 4 would be nice as well. I was driven by the idea of an overprices video editing setup for it as I have no use for the equipment for what it is intended for but thought it might be fun and funny.
Always act incompetent, so they expect less of you and your job will be much easier.