SGI: Video

DmediaPro + DM5 instructions

Hi, does anyone have any detailed setup (command help) documentation for setting up the dmediapro from the prom(via serial connection)? Reckon I need to know this beast inside out to get the best from it.

Many thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Start with the SGI Video BreakOut Box User's Guide: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/manuals ... index.html

The vbob software is included in the DMedia DM2/DM3 software distribution. If you don't have it I think it's on Ian Mapleson's 'depot' resource and/or Nekochan FTP. It may even still be on SupportFolio ;)

Keep in mind that the whole DMedia package can do two different things: video I/O to decks, cameras, (HD)SDI video monitors etc. using the DM2/DM3 + vbob, and GVO (graphics-to-video). GVO is optional and requires a DM5 in the vbob. You need DVI to connect to the DM5 so an Octane V12 needs a DCD. The vbob put the corresponding (HD)SDI signal on the BNCs, and you can attach the (graphics) monitor to the DM5 output.

You can telnet the vbob but I think it's only useful to run diagnostics on the thing or maybe recover from a bad flash. I normally do not have a serial cable connected to the vbob. You cannot telnet from the PROM.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
Thanks jan-jaap.

I've moved on a bit now, have a Pro VHS box and genlock generator.

running xtdigvidtest passes 7 test but fails on ODMA ?

I have mine cabled up like described EffectsEditing2007_Hardware_Setup_SGITezro-Octane2.pdf (have tried the way from SGI documents). I'm getting no output on any SD port.

SD input comes from Video (I can confirm that that works as it is displayed on the SONY PVM and also the capture card in my mac).
Output goes to above mentioned monitor and the capture device in the mac.
I suppose the question is, if I have something going to SD input, should I get something out of SD outputs? What app can I use in IRIX that will display what is coming in?

xtdigvid_confidence passes fine.

It's possible I don't know the correct question to ask at this time. I have been reading a lot, but in the main, it's telling me I have things set up OK ?

Cheers for help, sorry, it's such an open ended question.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I think it must be my inputs. They need to be digital? ? ?

I'm off to maplins to see if they have anything cool.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
the vbob only provides digital video ports, except for the genlock ports. each BNC connection is a video stream, in SMPTE 259M-C for standard definition and SMPTE 292M for high definition.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Thank you Rob, that answers why nothings coming out.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
What genlock generator did you get? If I may be so bold as to enquire... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
It's an ACRON 506P Synchronising PULSE GENERATOR.

It's possible not good for HD etc, but I only paid £30 and the vbob registers it. Until I have good input, I'm sort just testing stuff really.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!