SGI: Video

Best current options for SGI video editing? - Page 2

bri3d wrote:
I go 720p off my cheap camera kit to TIFF sequences, which is ghetto but works fine

mapesdhs wrote:
Not sure about TIFFs, but very likely loading RGBs is still faster

Easy to do if ffmpeg can decode video files from camera
Code:
ffmpeg -i camera_file.avi image%d.sgi

unfortunately neko_ffmpeg-SVN-r6775 is too outdated and does not have sgi image file format

What software would you use for the VINO inputs on an Indy? I was hoping to use my Indy for video editing, even if the quality is low. I've been searching the web but I can't figure out what software was used with it even when the Indy was brand new.

Thanks
loonvf wrote:
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the advise, this is very usefull indeed.
What surprises me is that you mention a Fuel being able to run Flame.
I never knew Fuels are capable of running discreet software at all.
Are you sure about this?

Or does anyone have experiense with Fuel and Flame or discreet?

Thanks in advance,

There's a FuelV10/FuelV12 licensing option coded into Flame 9 - whether or not they were ever sold is definitely a different story as I am fairly certain they were not.

If you don't need SDI I/Os a Fuel or modified Origin 350 with V12 makes an excellent Flame box, even for HD. If you do need SDI, you should probably get a Tezro as it has enough XIO slots to support both ODYSSEY graphics and SNOWBALL (the DMediaPro SDI I/O option). Two Origin 350s in NUMALink might also be able to achieve this configuration (V12 in one, SNOWBALL in the other), but I have not tested firsthand.
I just shovel uncompressed video imported and preprocessed elsewhere as frame sequences to and from my O350 Flame box, and this workflow works okay for me. I am not a professional user though - just a hobbyist having some fun. I'm using 3 internal disks across my 2 NUMALinked O350 chassis as Stone (via the Stone internal disk licensing method), and I get about 135MB/s which is decent enough for basic tasks. My quad 1Ghz R16Ks absolutely fly, especially compared to an Octane2.

The Fuel is definitely the most economical option (unless you can get lucky on some O350s) - you can generally get a mid-specced Fuel for less than a a comparable Octane2, and the Fuel is quieter and less power-hungry.

silicium wrote:
Easy to do if ffmpeg can decode video files from camera
Code:
ffmpeg -i camera_file.avi image%d.sgi

unfortunately neko_ffmpeg-SVN-r6775 is too outdated and does not have sgi image file format :(

I preprocess and convert on another (Linux) box, so it's not a worry :) I do wish we had better ffmpeg support for IRIX and MIPS, both in regards to support and optimization, but it doesn't look likely.

What software would you use for the VINO inputs on an Indy? I was hoping to use my Indy for video editing, even if the quality is low. I've been searching the web but I can't figure out what software was used with it even when the Indy was brand new.
Media Recorder and Movie Maker should have been included with any reasonably complete IRIX install.

If they weren't installed, the release notes for VINO will run you through the process: http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi ... notes/vino

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Hi there! :)

> There's a FuelV10/FuelV12 licensing option coded into Flame 9 - whether or not they were ever sold is definitely a different
> story as I am fairly certain they were not.

I've recently come across what appear to be original Discreet lics that say HOSTID=ANY. The app regards Fuel &
Tezro to be the same thing, so there you go I guess.

> ... My quad 1Ghz R16Ks absolutely fly, especially compared to an Octane2.

My tests showed the speedups are not as good as one might expect though. CPU scaling is as expected, but other tasks
are badly bottlenecked by the V12. Compare my combo test for dual-400 Octane2 V12 vs. quad-1GHz Tezro V12.

> The Fuel is definitely the most economical option (unless you can get lucky on some O350s) - you can generally get
> a mid-specced Fuel for less than a a comparable Octane2, and the Fuel is quieter and less power-hungry.

I intend testing Fuel 700, 800 & 900MHz configs, when I can find the time.

Cheers! :)

Ian.
orbital_binary wrote:

Thanks

You'll need to either use low resolution or get a Cosmo board, as the Indy 10MB/s SCSI interface can't handle full NTSC resolution video.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
silicium wrote:
unfortunately neko_ffmpeg-SVN-r6775 is too outdated and does not have sgi image file format

EDIT: I got errors when trying to run it on my SGI with the same syntax as a newer build on peecee, and compared the source codes later. This old ffmpeg can output sgi files with a different syntax.