SGI: Development

Start developing in IRIX

Hi All.

I'm working in de videogame industry, recetly i rescue from trash a O2 SGI, and of course i would like to start programming in IRIX too.

The problem is that i don't have almost information about IRIX, so, if anyone can help me to the main steps would be nice...

Also i need compilers and everything..., if you know where can i find it please tell me.

Thats all for this moment, i hope to help this comunity as much as i can.

Thank you!.
BlueSkull wrote: Hi All

welcome BlueSkull :-)

The problem is that i don't have almost information about IRIX, so, if anyone can help me to the main steps would be nice...

no specific main steps involved. irix is just a unix. also for more detailed info you'd have to provide some info first such as your os version and so on ...

Also i need compilers and everything..., if you know where can i find it please tell me.

no, the irix development environment was commercial hence according to our rules there's not gonna be any talk about "getting" it.
foetz wrote:
BlueSkull wrote: Also i need compilers and everything..., if you know where can i find it please tell me.

no, the irix development environment was commercial hence according to our rules there's not gonna be any talk about "getting" it.

Well, the GNU compilers make a compelling alternative... :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote:
BlueSkull wrote: Also i need compilers and everything..., if you know where can i find it please tell me.

you still need the basic irix dev stuff
foetz wrote:
vishnu wrote:
foetz wrote:

you still need the basic irix dev stuff

So, its no way... :? , maybe next life :( .
The header files and whatnot? Didn't that used to be a freely available download so people could use the GNU compilers if they didn't want to pay for a MIPSPro license? Cause I'm pretty sure it was...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: The header files and whatnot? Didn't that used to be a freely available download so people could use the GNU compilers if they didn't want to pay for a MIPSPro license? Cause I'm pretty sure it was...

Must be, I recall using gcc at the turn of the century on my INDY and I had no MIPS, but did have the IRIX CD's if that what's meant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
uunix wrote:
vishnu wrote: The header files and whatnot? Didn't that used to be a freely available download so people could use the GNU compilers if they didn't want to pay for a MIPSPro license? Cause I'm pretty sure it was...

Must be, I recall using gcc at the turn of the century on my INDY and I had no MIPS, but did have the IRIX CD's if that what's meant.

yeah that was for 5.3
I'll look at my CDs tonight, I'm pretty sure the development environment CDs were freely available all the way up to the 7.4 release of MIPSPro....
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: I'll look at my CDs tonight, I'm pretty sure the development environment CDs were freely available all the way up to the 7.4 release of MIPSPro....

would be even better of course
Well of course now that techpubs has been cut off at the knees I can't find the page where they listed the compiler execution environment as being freely available, but IIRC one of the things they did after 6.5.21 was include it as a standard part of the IRIX installation media. For anyone running versions prior to that the 7.3 version looks to be one of the many mirrored at the wayback machine. :P
Project:
Plan: