SGI: Development

rdesktop 1.8.3

Canavan's rdesktop is great, solved my browser problem entirely. However, there's a new one ! Ooh ! Ooh ! Version lust ! Whoopee ! After all these years I'm still an idiot ...

To build, extract canavan's patches from the 1.7.1 tardist. Apply. Then I just configure --prefix=/usr/nekoware and ditched the libiconv and ipv6 directives. Your needs may be different. As the build progresses, it will bitch about "You don't have KitchenSink 3.1 ! Consider adding it or configure --without-kitchensink". I chose the latter, about five times.

Except for that, it builds fine up to

Code: Select all

cc-1117 c99: ERROR File = rdp.c, Line = 288
An expression appears after a "return" in a "void" function.

return rdp_in_unistr(s, in_len, string, str_size);
^

1 error detected in the compilation of "rdp.c".

thanks to instructions from foetz, changed to

Code: Select all

rdp_in_unistr(s, in_len, string, str_size);
return;

And she'sa builda. If you can't be smart, have smart friends. Thank you very much, Mr Foetz.

So far working good. In fact, I think it looks better via rdp than it does on the windders machine. Posting this from an Octane via Light running on a Win2003 box, secretly behind the Assist's back. If she ever figures out I'm stealing cycles, I'll be singing tenor in the Norman Luboff Choir.

But it works really good. Still some glitches but compared to fighting gtk2, what a relief.

Except I'm still running the flop. I said I'm an idiot ... anyone look in the about:config window recently ? Anybody want to help me storm their castle with lit torches ? Those people should be drawn and quartered. Maybe I should use Internet Exploder.

Oh Christ. What did I just say ? :(
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
I ditched Firefox on my PC over a year ago now, ever since Australis came along and made me want to gouge out my eyes with a toothpick. I currently use Pale Moon as it's Firefox without the recent Mozilla kool-aid.
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
glad it worked :-)
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: glad it worked :-)

Thanks again, really. And this (rdesktop) is the best answer I've come across for browsing on Irix. It's as fast as local browsing on Windows and looks better, too :D

In the long run, it's ridiculous that there are no functional browsers except for the newest latest Windows/Loonix/Mackletosh horseshit. The web has been destroyed by commercial interests who only care about how much advertising garbage they can jam down our throats and how much data they can get back, to further jam more crap down our throats. Even the so-called kermyooonity sites like sourceforge have turned to crap. It's quite possible that the web will truly become the Home Shopping Channel with an absolute value of zero within a couple more years.

But if not, it's beyond reason that computers capable of simulating nuclear explosions can't drive a responsive web browser. There is something totally wrong about this situation.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...